WW Start-up Issue

A forum for the RtCW mod.

Moderators: Ringo, wwbiteme, zivs

El Stupido
Sheriff
Sheriff

WW Start-up Issue

Post by El Stupido » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:42 pm

Hi guys.. after years of running flawlessly, I'm starting to get a weird lock-up problem when WW starts! What usually happens is that after double-clicking the icon, I see the oultline of the gun and flames splash screen, but it's a solid nasty green-brown color. No place to click, just a solid colored patch. If I wait a loooong time, it will sometimes play the flame sound etc, but usually it is just locked up solid. (task manager shows WW is "not responding". If I open regular RtCW and run the mod from the multiplayer menu, it works fine, which leads me to believe it's a problem in the startup splash screen routine?? I should just reinstall, but I'm curious if any others have seen this?

patt hibulaire
Greenhorn

Post by patt hibulaire » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:57 pm

do you use vista??
sweet bullet for kill noone

El Stupido
Sheriff
Sheriff

Post by El Stupido » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:19 pm

Hi Pat, No, this machine runs XP professional and it's worked fine for several years. Something must be corrupted somewhere. I will reinstall the mod and see if that fixes it. Cheers

wwbiteme
Site Administrator

Post by wwbiteme » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:40 pm

I had the same issue and i am running XP. I ended up using the standalone and this fixed the problems...plus Rudi's SA has a cool feature of when you shrink it it is an icon in the tray. If it is red colored no one is on the servers, yellow is a few are on and green means things a cookin!! Give it a try and come play!!

patt hibulaire
Greenhorn

Post by patt hibulaire » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:37 pm

hi el stupido
wwbiteme say right,everything gonna be allright with standalone
sweet bullet for kill noone

wwbiteme
Site Administrator

Post by wwbiteme » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:30 am

Did you get the SA to work? I saw you on line the other day.

El_Pedo_Ciego
Prospector
Prospector

Various startup errors

Post by El_Pedo_Ciego » Tue May 12, 2009 11:27 pm

Hey,

We've had the same problem on some of our computers. What we have to do on those computers with this problem is start RtCW and then select Mods>Wildwest and not use the flaming launcher. This seems to work 90% of the time.

Another problem we have experienced with the launcher is that it will start up fine, shows the flames etc. but then will not allow you to click on anything such as "Play". We've also had the launcher crash the system.

Lately many of the machines are having this experience: We launch the program and get the greyish colored screen that splashes while the program is loading, but it will just stay that way for sometimes up to 6 minutes or more before the WW game screen comes up. This used to be a short process. Also sometimes maps take a while to load.

These machines are older, but within the specs for WW and are clean of viruses, etc. Seems like a graphics issue to me.

----

It is a shame we cannot get a fast connection around here to play with ya'll. We had a LAN game the other night with 8 of us. Pretty fun! It was the first time we had played the fixed canyon map as a group. Thanks for doing that BTW. We set the time limit up quite a bit so that we can battle our way through the canyon.

_EPC
/PF/ El_Pedo_Ciego - a.k.a LonePedo -

"I maintain a steady diet of rare steaks, beef jerky and live ammunition..."

gunte

Post by gunte » Wed May 13, 2009 2:04 pm

Why not just use the standalone version as suggested? It is very easy to install and it doesn't use the flamestarter.

Go here and download/install the 1. link in the downloadsection.

http://dorado.ath.cx/download/gametools.html

If you already have rtcw on your computer you can leave it or uninstall it. It doesn't matter.

If you don't want to download the game in the 1. link you can also just download and install the ww scanner. It's the 2. link in the download section.

cu

El Dragon
Retired

Post by El Dragon » Thu May 14, 2009 3:57 pm

puzzling. we never had an issue with the launcher before (yes occasionally it may hang up for a brief spell) but you can go ahead and use the wildwest scanner/launcher mentioned above.

On the old version of canyon, you don't really need extra time, if the cowboys take fortress flag before time limit then the game goes into sudden death overtime till either the babe is blown or rescued.

El_Pedo_Ciego
Prospector
Prospector

Post by El_Pedo_Ciego » Thu May 14, 2009 8:04 pm

Canyon Sudden Death... Ahhh... That happened the other night to us and we thought it was a bug. Glad to know that.

When we have new people coming to play I'll install the stand alone version on their machine sometimes and we haven't had an issue. The problem for us is when we use the RtCW mod. As far as the grey screen thing I mentioned above. It happens in WildWest and RtCW. Is there a switch "+set ..." that I could use to start the game quicker and then change settings once the game is up?

Thanx,
_EPC
/PF/ El_Pedo_Ciego - a.k.a LonePedo -

"I maintain a steady diet of rare steaks, beef jerky and live ammunition..."

gunte

Post by gunte » Fri May 15, 2009 4:51 pm

Yes there is a switch. Start the game this way:

wolfmp.exe "+set fs_game WildWest"

The line above is exactly what happens if you press the "Start With no server" button in the wildwest scanner.

If you don't want to use the wwscanner and just want to lauch the game in your own manual way then be carefull if you use windows vista. With Vista you must rigth click on the wolfmp.exe file and on the page "compatibility" you must choose "Windows XP servicepack 2".

But again if you download and install the standalone version of wildwest then you can run it on XP and Vista without doing anything :D. And as mentioned earlier you don't need to uninstall the rtcw you already have on the pc.

wwbiteme
Site Administrator

Post by wwbiteme » Fri May 15, 2009 5:19 pm

Gunte...you crack me up....love the shameless advertising on the SA :lol: :lol: :lol:

El Stupido
Sheriff
Sheriff

Post by El Stupido » Fri May 15, 2009 5:55 pm

Wow! I started this thread a year and a half ago and it lives on! I still have the lock up issue with the flame screen so I have been launching rtcw and then "mods" .."ww 1.6". works well.

@Gunte - I think the stand alone is great and I would use it all the time if it weren't for one problem. I still use the mouse wheel to scroll weapons (lame I know) and for some reason, the standalone scrolls incorrectly. I seem to scroll and scroll and not find what I'm looking for? I also want full screen with no task bar at the bottom and it's always there? I still use the scanner to see who's on !

gunte

Post by gunte » Fri May 15, 2009 10:20 pm

hehe.. advertising

the scroll has nothing to do with the standalone version?????? I also use mouse wheel (scrooll) to choose weapons. Launch wildwest and then inside the game setup the mousewheel scroll. It should also work when you start up afterwards or?

if you want to play full screen then click "disabled" in screen resolution in the button of the ww scanner. Then launch the game and switch to full screen. Now it will start up full screen every time you start it from the scanner :)

Dani
Cowpoke
Cowpoke

Post by Dani » Sat May 16, 2009 10:50 am

gunte wrote:hehe.. advertising

the scroll has nothing to do with the standalone version?????? I also use mouse wheel (scrooll) to choose weapons. Launch wildwest and then inside the game setup the mousewheel scroll. It should also work when you start up afterwards or?

if you want to play full screen then click "disabled" in screen resolution in the button of the ww scanner. Then launch the game and switch to full screen. Now it will start up full screen every time you start it from the scanner :)
Gunte is right

I use only SA version with wwscanner
all works fine. (WildWest mod doesnt run properly with RtCW game in my war machine)
Fear not your enemies, for they can only kill you.
Fear not your friends, for they can only betray you.
Fear only the indifferent, who permit the killers and betrayers
to walk safely on the earth."
by Edward Yashinsky