Starting a server

A forum for the RtCW mod.

Moderators: Ringo, wwbiteme, zivs

Paralyzer
Cowpoke
Cowpoke

Starting a server

Post by Paralyzer » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:18 pm

Hi, I would be interested in starting a server. So the simple question is: how is do you start an internet server? I'm trying right now... hope it works!
El Spaghetti Western

gunte

Post by gunte » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:09 am

Hi you need to choose one of the following 3 solutions:

1. If you just want to have a short game with your friends on the local LAN then it is possible to start a server on your own pc where you are able to play at the same time. But you can't have maprotation etc. You don't need additional files - just press "start server" button in the ww window and then inside the game create a new game. It works fine. With this solution you can't see the server in the ww browser and people can't log on from the internet. They must be on your local LAN network. Your friends must start the game by pressing the "start game on LAN server" button and then choose your server-IP which you can find by opening a dos box and enter the command ipconfig. The reason this solution is restricted to local network is that you won't have the server listed in the ww browser windows because most people can't log on anyway (no cd-key). Otherwise you really need to go for solution 3 listed below.

2. If you want a real server solution with maprotation - but as solution 1 restricted to players on the local LAN network then you can use the windows or linux files. Remember this is only for local game on your own network!. I can send you the linux files - I don't know how to setup on windows. The reason this solution is restricted to local network is that you won't have the server listed in the ww browser windows because most people can't log on anyway (no cd-key). Otherwise you really need to go for solution 3 listed below.

3. If you want a more permanent solution as the 2 existing servers use with maprotation on both local network and internet then you need a linux server. And i can send you the files.

What solution do you think you need?
Last edited by gunte on Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paralyzer
Cowpoke
Cowpoke

Post by Paralyzer » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:32 pm

I was thinking of the third one, a permanent server with maprotation. I have mac, does it work anyway?
El Spaghetti Western

Paralyzer
Cowpoke
Cowpoke

Post by Paralyzer » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:36 pm

And one more thing: even when I try to start a local server, it doesn't work. Somehow I always get stuck in the ground before starting or something. Do you know why this happens?
El Spaghetti Western

gunte

Post by gunte » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:05 pm

If you run on mac i don't know how it works. But solution 1 above works fine on windows.

If you need a server as in solution 3 you need to get a linux and a good internetconnection. If you need to host 10+ players it must be pretty good hardware and you also need a good internetconnection with a big upload. If you need to have it turned on 24 hours a day then also take into consideration that the power cost is pretty expensive - about 100 $ where i live. Because of theese requirement it is perhaps more convenient just to rent a server which you get for 65 $ in europe and perhaps half in us.

Soo as you see its not easy to etablish a server. However if you can provide/pay for the network and hardware with linux then i will help you with the files and setup.

By the way it isn't that funny to run a server - you can decide maps and other setups but afterall it isn't a big kick. Instead it is expensive and time consuming and a bit needless when we already have 2 servers. However it is always good to have extra servers in case the other servers doesn't work :)

Slimeboykill
Prospector
Prospector

Post by Slimeboykill » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:08 pm

siiii :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The British Tradition : Fish and Chips!

Ringo
Site Administrator

Post by Ringo » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:25 pm

Paralyzer wrote:And one more thing: even when I try to start a local server, it doesn't work. Somehow I always get stuck in the ground before starting or something. Do you know why this happens?
this is due to a dll bug ...
WIP : Wildwest ET
WIP : Wildwest_Radar
WIP : Wildwest_Sanmiguel
WIP : Wildwest_Yuma
WIP : Wildwest Jailbreak
WIP : Wildwest_Muerte
WIP : Wildwest_Abby

B@ND!TO
Sheriff
Sheriff

Re: Starting a server

Post by B@ND!TO » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:08 am

Paralyzer wrote:Hi, I would be interested in starting a server. So the simple question is: how is do you start an internet server? I'm trying right now... hope it works!
Its a great idee

gunte

Post by gunte » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:09 pm

paralyser i assume you are on MAC?? As said it works fine on windows.

Paralyzer
Cowpoke
Cowpoke

Post by Paralyzer » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:19 pm

Ringo wrote:
Paralyzer wrote:And one more thing: even when I try to start a local server, it doesn't work. Somehow I always get stuck in the ground before starting or something. Do you know why this happens?
Any way to fix this?
El Spaghetti Western

Slimeboykill
Prospector
Prospector

Post by Slimeboykill » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:53 pm

It would be great if you started a server ax!!!! :D If Ringo helps maybe my map would feature in youre server!!! 8) (IF YOU MAKE ONE!!!)

gunte

Post by gunte » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:55 pm

slimeboy if you want a server for a new map you can send it to me then i start a server with that map only

Slimeboykill
Prospector
Prospector

Post by Slimeboykill » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:34 pm

sure, but first i will need ringo to alternate a few things first

Slimeboykill
Prospector
Prospector

Post by Slimeboykill » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:20 pm

I am also interested in making my own server :D

El Poncho
Prospector
Prospector

Post by El Poncho » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:48 pm

Paralyzer wrote:
Ringo wrote:
Any way to fix this?
I think the only way would be to have Hewster recompile the code or something. This was the reason I gave up on mapping after I got all excited and started mapping again but couldn't test my maps on my mac. :cry:
-Prior to moving to the Wild West, I was called Bonesetter and had a cool sig like this: