What is needed to start a new server?

Having problems running a WildWest server or setting one up? Well what are you waiting for?

Moderators: Ringo, wwbiteme, zivs

El Stupido
Sheriff
Sheriff

What is needed to start a new server?

Post by El Stupido » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:50 pm

Since we are currently down to one server, it might be a good time to ask one of you Guru's what is involved with setting one up? It would be nice to have a step-by-step tutorial for dummies (like myself :D )

Huche_de_Vent
Sheriff
Sheriff

Post by Huche_de_Vent » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:56 pm

No, no, amigo. There's a big difference between stupid and dumb! :twisted: (boy am I asking for a nade)

I agree. Side benefit being if main/favorite server is down (as happens), there hopefully would be more than nobody that could jump in to get a temp one up somewhere. Also, have servers that are dedicated to only some maps or low-gravity on Tuesday nights... whatever.
/PF/Huche
aka gravedigger

"I can tell at sight a Mauser rifle from a javelin."

El Stupido
Sheriff
Sheriff

Post by El Stupido » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:05 pm

El Stupido
Sheriff
Sheriff

Post by El Stupido » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:10 pm

Huche_de_Vent wrote:I agree. Side benefit being if main/favorite server is down (as happens), there hopefully would be more than nobody that could jump in to get a temp one up somewhere. Also, have servers that are dedicated to only some maps or low-gravity on Tuesday nights... whatever.
Also, we have the entire country of Poland to think about. I would hate to see Dudi and crew start playing World of Warcraft :shock: .

Ringo
Site Administrator

Post by Ringo » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:11 am

well...in a nuttshell

what u need is an RTCW version 1.4 ( patched to latest )
latest wildwest version get it of the CO.uk site ..

if in trouble with obtaining this .. i can mirror this all ..

windows or linux* doesnt really matter .. windows is probably your friend ..

ull need a broadband internet connection for hosting 10 players ( depending on rate ) higher upload the better..
bigger the rate / sv_fps the more hogging of utilisation will occur .. esp internet wise..

best is to rent a virtual machine ( windows , or linux ) which is usually located in a big data center
example .. http://iweb.com/landing/windows/

install rtcw ( a copy also suffice ! NOT THE SA Version ) and install the wildwest version

port 27960 open on your firewall and routing to your server :)

launch the program via a batch file with the command :

wolfmp.exe +set dedicated 2 +set fs_game Wildwest +exec Wildwest_server.cfg

and try to connect to it .. ( using the console since the master server is not listing servers anymore )
/connect your.server.ip.here

once u connect , punkbuster will moan .. u might wat to consider disabling punkbuster since its not beeing maintained
and updates probably will never ever occur again .. or u will have to update it manually (www.evenbalance.com)

(keep in mind .. servers with punkbuster enabled there will be a bunch o trouble with people connecting with the SA version,
this is because the SA version disables the CDchecks therefore its a modified file and punkbuster will seriously moan about this..
if the punkbuster is not configured correctly eventually a kick can occur, but gunte can aid here ..if u want people to join your server
and they are using the SA version u might want to consider disabling punkbuster )

for more in depth questions .. send me a message :D
WIP : Wildwest ET
WIP : Wildwest_Radar
WIP : Wildwest_Sanmiguel
WIP : Wildwest_Yuma
WIP : Wildwest Jailbreak
WIP : Wildwest_Muerte
WIP : Wildwest_Abby