Well hello there!

which sv_maxrate ?

Having problems running a WildWest server or setting one up? Well what are you waiting for?

Moderators: Ringo, wwbiteme, zivs

which sv_maxrate ?

Post by gunte » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:54 pm

Their has been a lot of threads about sv_maxrate but i need some experience.

I know what it does but would like to know how much sv_maxrate on the server at least should be to ensure smooth clients where clients doesn't notice any difference comparing to the us and eu servers which has a sv_maxrate at 18000.

I would like to know if 10000 is good enough (i think soo but i'm not quite sure)? because then 8 people can play on a "normal" modern asdl 700mbit line.

Perhaps we can test it sunday.

Post by gunte » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:02 pm

hmm i'm not sure that it works anyway. I tried to set max_rate to 1000 on the eu server but i didn't noticed any lag when playing :shock:

Site Administrator

Post by Ringo » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:42 pm

sv_maxRate - sets the maximum allowable rate a client may have set when connected to the server. The default is 0, which is no limit. A suggested setting is 8000 or 10000 so server bandwidth is not used up by high speed clients, thus allowing modem players to have a smoother game.
Usage: sv_maxRate <#####>

The sv_maxrate setting in your server config file determines the maximum connection rate allowed for each client / player. Clients that have a rate higher than the sv_maxrate have their rate capped at the sv_maxrate.

The higher your rate, the more data that is sent back and forth between the server and the clients. A higher sv_maxrate means a smoother game for clients who have fast internet connections, but the higher the sv_maxrate the higher the bandwidth consumption on ther server.

Note that if a couple of clients were to set their rates to very high values eg 1000000, then they could take all the server bandwidth leaving other players with very little bandwidth, even if they have cable modems! Obviously not good!
WIP : Wildwest ET
WIP : Wildwest_Radar
WIP : Wildwest_Sanmiguel
WIP : Wildwest_Yuma
WIP : Wildwest Jailbreak
WIP : Wildwest_Muerte
WIP : Wildwest_Abby