Well hello there!

Old Canyon Map

More or less everything you want to know about mapping for WildWest.

Moderators: Ringo, wwbiteme, zivs

wwbiteme
Site Administrator

Old Canyon Map

Post by wwbiteme » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:35 pm

Ok well I have been playing around with getting the original version of the canyon map to work and have not had any success. I took the script file and the .bsp file and merged them into a .pk3 file and renamed it as wildwest_oldcanyon.pk3 I also made sure the 2 files inside were also renamed to wildwest_oldcanyon.bsp & script.

When I try to load the map to run it I type: /map wildwest_oldcanyon

Now if you do this on one of the existing maps it will take you to them no problem. But if I try to do this on this renamed on is says it is not able to locate the .bsp file.

Any suggestions anyone????

For the new players what is different in this old map compared to the new is this:

You may notice how there is huge part of the map that is unused forward of the spawn point. There are 3 ways to go to the back of the canyon. on the original map you spawned way back there and made your way to the current spawn where you had to capture and hold a flag. Once you captured the flag you then spawned at the current point. So basically we are only playing on half of the original map.

The other thing that was changed is in the old version you not only had to go and get the key to unlock and save the girl but you had to also leave some people behind to defend the girl. A minor on the bandit team could set TNT and blow her up making the cowboys lose the game. The new version removed this part and you can not harm the girl.
Last edited by wwbiteme on Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

wwbiteme
Site Administrator

Post by wwbiteme » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:26 pm

OK here is the latest update....

I received some good feedback from Rudi and Shlep and it looks like the issues I had was I did not copy all of the needed files over to the new .pk3 file. So I went back and located all the needed files...

Where I am at right now is I can get the original Canyon map to run fine on a normal install of Wildwest for RTCW but can not get it to run with the standalone version of WW. I am sure it is a simple solution and waiting to hear back from Rudi.

I have to say running through the old version brought back some good old memories!!!

When I get the kinks worked out I will add this to the server and post a link on this forum and also on other forums where everyone can get the old map. Also instructions on where to put the file for both normal install of WW for RTCW and the Standalone version...

Hfx-Rebel
Cowpoke
Cowpoke

Post by Hfx-Rebel » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:39 pm

Great news! I wouldn't mind playing all of the classic maps back to back...and do without the DM ones. I had an awesome time last time I was able to play, and hopefully, if the stars are lined up just so, and the gods are smiling, I'll be there this weekend!

Hijo de Puta
Prospector
Prospector

Post by Hijo de Puta » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:27 pm

Hi Dave , good to see the old map is back , we have to work hard to victory :D

Only . . . . at this moment I'm playing on this map , I don't have the standalone version , but the mod for RtcW .
But now I can't see i'm online in the WildWest scanner , so when people are using the WW-scanner and we are playing on the Canyon map , the can't see that :(

Hope there is a solution for it

wwbiteme
Site Administrator

Post by wwbiteme » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:13 am

Here are the files you need for the Old Canyon Map. You need to download both files and place them in your:

http://www.the-wildwest.com/files/ww_zscripts.pk3

http://www.the-wildwest.com/files/ww_zsoldcanyon.pk3

http://www.the-wildwest.com/files/sancuchillo.pk3

Retail wildwest:

RTCW and then into the Wildwest folder

Standalone:

wildweststarter and then place files into the wildwest folder.

El Dragon
Retired

Post by El Dragon » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:24 am

make sure they are saved as .pk3 files, as IE likes to make them .zip files

wwbiteme
Site Administrator

Post by wwbiteme » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:02 am

Hijo de Puta wrote:Hi Dave , good to see the old map is back , we have to work hard to victory :D

Only . . . . at this moment I'm playing on this map , I don't have the standalone version , but the mod for RtcW .
But now I can't see i'm online in the WildWest scanner , so when people are using the WW-scanner and we are playing on the Canyon map , the can't see that :(

Hope there is a solution for it
Ok this is a strange one. Iggy and I were playing with this last night and we could see people in the starter. Can you take a screenshot and post it here so I can see what you are seeing?

Ringo
Site Administrator

Post by Ringo » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:39 pm

just a tip.. it might be usefull just to save the map and the pk3 under a different name .. unlike canyon or something ..
:roll:

wwbiteme
Site Administrator

Post by wwbiteme » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:11 am

We got this corrected on HEH server. Love playing the old canyon map!!

Ringo
Site Administrator

Post by Ringo » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:01 am

Bite .. if i remember correctly .. only thing changed within the NEW canyon map ..is the script ...

Hew told me quite sometime ago ,that they had lost the map source ..( due to a harddrive crash of boltyboy)

anyway if u open the script .. in the pk3 ( maps/wildwest_canyon/wildwest_canyon.script )
just remove the remarks with the objectives

ergo :)

//set the objective status for each objective.
// 0 = Bandits, 1 = Cowboys , -1 = None
// wm_set_objective_status 1 1 // canyon flag
wm_set_objective_status 2 0 // hideout flag

remove the // before wm_set_objective_status and the map would restore to its old glory :)

sorry if i caused you to swear now :P

wwbiteme
Site Administrator

Post by wwbiteme » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:05 am

Gee thanks....NOW you tell me!!! :lol:

What I ended up doing was to take the original map and then create new .cfg for it so it would be a different name then the new Canyon map.

Call me weird but they used to always complain about how the original Canyon map played but I never had or saw any issues. I always loved having to fight my way to the first flag and then beyond.

Also I love the fact that you need to leave people back to defend the girl due to the bandits can blow her up. Makes the game a lot more interesting!!

Ringo
Site Administrator

Post by Ringo » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:55 am

heh ,

i thought u wanted to reconstruct something .. i guess i just read over the part :P

8)

but that what happens if u're busy :)

:shock:

since i was looking for the girl to place her in yuma .. i bumped into the changes hew made ..
and then re-read your post :P

Pippi
Cowpoke
Cowpoke

Post by Pippi » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:06 pm

wwbiteme wrote:Gee thanks....NOW you tell me!!! :lol:

What I ended up doing was to take the original map and then create new .cfg for it so it would be a different name then the new Canyon map.

Call me weird but they used to always complain about how the original Canyon map played but I never had or saw any issues. I always loved having to fight my way to the first flag and then beyond.

Also I love the fact that you need to leave people back to defend the girl due to the bandits can blow her up. Makes the game a lot more interesting!!
I miss the old map too. When I played it a few weeks ago, it was the first time I saw that map in years, and it felt really ackward. I really missed something.

I also believe I miss another oldtimer map from maybe the first beta releases of Wildwest? Anyway, Im in favour of playing the old map.

Ringo
Site Administrator

Post by Ringo » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:34 pm

might be a good idea .. to make an additional mappack with oldmaps and new maps .. :)

example : newmaps.pk3

old canyon
zivs saloon
ringo yuma prison
ringo/zivs yuzgado
ringo/fueldump
ringo/goldrush

or did i spoil something ??? :twisted:
WIP : Wildwest ET
WIP : Wildwest_Radar
WIP : Wildwest_Sanmiguel
WIP : Wildwest_Yuma