Well hello there!

Old Canyon Map

More or less everything you want to know about mapping for WildWest.

Moderators: Ringo, wwbiteme, zivs

User avatar
El Dudi
Prospector
Prospector
Posts: 143
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:05 am
Location: POLAND
Contact:

Post by El Dudi » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:45 pm

Yes, its great idea! :D El Jedrulla tell me today that he lost with all this new maps, and i think that not olnly he will be happy when you will do mappack :)

User avatar
El Dudi
Prospector
Prospector
Posts: 143
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:05 am
Location: POLAND
Contact:

Post by El Dudi » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:47 pm

Pippi wrote:WTF? Fueldump?? Goldrush??? :shock:

Just finished the Yuma map first already! I want to play it! :lol:
LOL! I wish that was a truth :lol: Its only example for us... :(

User avatar
Ringo
Site Administrator
Posts: 1036
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: Am*dam
Contact:

Post by Ringo » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:36 pm

El Dudi wrote:
Pippi wrote:WTF? Fueldump?? Goldrush??? :shock:

Just finished the Yuma map first already! I want to play it! :lol:
LOL! I wish that was a truth :lol: Its only example for us... :(
for your info ..

i have all the original map files of ET ... so after yuma that will be a new project :P
WIP : Wildwest ET
WIP : Wildwest_Radar
WIP : Wildwest_Sanmiguel
WIP : Wildwest_Yuma
WIP : Wildwest Jailbreak
WIP : Wildwest_Muerte
WIP : Wildwest_Abby

User avatar
Huche_de_Vent
Sheriff
Sheriff
Posts: 279
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:04 am
Location: Dust 'n Junipers

Post by Huche_de_Vent » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:31 pm

I'm really curious now. Exactly how many versions of the canyon map are there? Playing yesterday on Heh, I found to my dismay that I lacked some pk3's. Yet I have played the 'old' version in LAN games so I do have something. The first version of Canyon I ever played came with the downloaded WW mod for RTCW. Cowboys start at Canyon flag (not horses) and Bandits start in hideout. New version, right? Not quite. Girl is not TNT-able. I have played an Old Canyon map with my clan where the spawns are moved out, yet I obviously didn't have the right pk3's yesterday on the Heh server. And finally on a recent VIP game, we were in Canyon and I noticed some terrains that were altered from other versions.

So I count at least 3, maybe 4 distinct variants. Am I missing something?

BTW, there all good! I'm just trying to understand what's up.
/PF/Huche
aka gravedigger


"I can tell at sight a Mauser rifle from a javelin."

User avatar
Ringo
Site Administrator
Posts: 1036
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: Am*dam
Contact:

Post by Ringo » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:26 pm

Huche_de_Vent wrote:I'm really curious now. Exactly how many versions of the canyon map are there? Playing yesterday on Heh, I found to my dismay that I lacked some pk3's. Yet I have played the 'old' version in LAN games so I do have something. The first version of Canyon I ever played came with the downloaded WW mod for RTCW. Cowboys start at Canyon flag (not horses) and Bandits start in hideout. New version, right? Not quite. Girl is not TNT-able. I have played an Old Canyon map with my clan where the spawns are moved out, yet I obviously didn't have the right pk3's yesterday on the Heh server. And finally on a recent VIP game, we were in Canyon and I noticed some terrains that were altered from other versions.

So I count at least 3, maybe 4 distinct variants. Am I missing something?

BTW, there all good! I'm just trying to understand what's up.
the start @ horses is the original one .. ( ww version 1.2 / 1.3 )
some alterations on ww1.5
during 1.5 alot of people had FPS issues so HEW re-scripted the map for 1.6 ( prolly added some of his nifty terrains aswell ) which removed the spawn @ the horses..
WIP : Wildwest ET
WIP : Wildwest_Radar
WIP : Wildwest_Sanmiguel
WIP : Wildwest_Yuma
WIP : Wildwest Jailbreak
WIP : Wildwest_Muerte
WIP : Wildwest_Abby

User avatar
Huche_de_Vent
Sheriff
Sheriff
Posts: 279
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:04 am
Location: Dust 'n Junipers

Post by Huche_de_Vent » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:54 am

Thanks, Ringo. Helpful info.

In part, I'm still kinda confused. The version I know best does not spawn at horses, and does not have added terrain. Looking at the script for this version (came with my pak) I see that it was last edited 28th June 2004 by Hewster, and both canyon flag and blow girl objectives are null. Yet, the added terrain of which I speak is most conspicuously absent. (BTW, the 'new' terrain is in the deep canyon immediately in front of hideout.) The only place I've seen the added terrain is while playing VIP games. Is the canyon map version on darado newer than the 1.613 pak? What a minute though, I didn't download anything to play it, so I must have already had that pk3.... now I'm really confused. :x
/PF/Huche
aka gravedigger


"I can tell at sight a Mauser rifle from a javelin."

User avatar
Ringo
Site Administrator
Posts: 1036
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: Am*dam
Contact:

Post by Ringo » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:04 am

heh ,

last edited 2004 by hewster doesn't mean its edited in 2004 ... infact town was changed during the same time period .. the secret tunnel ( and the wagon on the bridge) didn't exist on 1.5

now about the canyon bit ..

here is the section where u speak about

//set the objective status for each objective.
// 0 = Bandits, 1 = Cowboys , -1 = None
//wm_set_objective_status 1 1 // canyon flag
wm_set_objective_status 2 0 // hideout flag
wm_set_objective_status 3 0 // keys
wm_set_objective_status 4 -1 // rescue girl
//wm_set_objective_status 5 -1 // blow the girl

hew commented out the 1st objective and the last so thats // the canyon flag
and blowing the girl
so those objectives will not work anymore ... secondy
he changed the status so that u spawn @ the gatlinggun instead of the horses ..

anything commented in the scriptfile is disabled .. and if u notice correctly .. everyscript holds a piece of blowing the bank .. copy n paste my friends :)
WIP : Wildwest ET
WIP : Wildwest_Radar
WIP : Wildwest_Sanmiguel
WIP : Wildwest_Yuma
WIP : Wildwest Jailbreak
WIP : Wildwest_Muerte
WIP : Wildwest_Abby

User avatar
El_Pedo_Ciego
Prospector
Prospector
Posts: 157
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:38 pm
Location: The Oregon Trail

Post by El_Pedo_Ciego » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:33 am

Too bad with newer machines we can't update the Canyon map. I think it is much more fun to spawn at the horses and fight your way to the new spawn point. We never used to play Canyon all that much, but recently it seems that is one of our most competitive maps. We seem to always come up with odd numbers when we LAN so there are maps that get played with weird combos... 3 on 5, 2 on 3, 3 on 4, and it really changes the game a lot. Canyon map is one that I think changes dramatically depending on how many teammates you have. Much different tactics if you have a small number.
/PF/ El_Pedo_Ciego - a.k.a LonePedo -


"I maintain a steady diet of rare steaks, beef jerky and live ammunition..."

User avatar
wwbiteme
Site Administrator
Posts: 878
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:27 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Contact:

Post by wwbiteme » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:20 pm

Yup the old canyon map is one of my favorites.

I do need to add more time to it. The respawn and the map times are a little short.

Also I love the fact that not only do you need to attack to get the key but need to defend as well...
Image

User avatar
Ringo
Site Administrator
Posts: 1036
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: Am*dam
Contact:

Post by Ringo » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:52 pm

El_Pedo_Ciego wrote:Too bad with newer machines we can't update the Canyon map. I think it is much more fun to spawn at the horses and fight your way to the new spawn point. We never used to play Canyon all that much, but recently it seems that is one of our most competitive maps. We seem to always come up with odd numbers when we LAN so there are maps that get played with weird combos... 3 on 5, 2 on 3, 3 on 4, and it really changes the game a lot. Canyon map is one that I think changes dramatically depending on how many teammates you have. Much different tactics if you have a small number.
the new canyon rendered alot of sneaky ways obsolete ..

there can be no more adjustments to the canyon map since boltyboy lost the source in a HD crash
so its limited to the scripting .. i could try to decompile the map but that would take ages .. and futhermore i dont think hew or bolty would allow me to hack the map ..
WIP : Wildwest ET
WIP : Wildwest_Radar
WIP : Wildwest_Sanmiguel
WIP : Wildwest_Yuma
WIP : Wildwest Jailbreak
WIP : Wildwest_Muerte
WIP : Wildwest_Abby

User avatar
Ringo
Site Administrator
Posts: 1036
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: Am*dam
Contact:

Post by Ringo » Tue May 11, 2010 9:53 pm

Fixed your issues dave ..

the girl can now be blown up again..

http://www.leegwater.net/west/maps/ww_zsoldcanyon.pk3

( replace with the other one )

happy fragging
WIP : Wildwest ET
WIP : Wildwest_Radar
WIP : Wildwest_Sanmiguel
WIP : Wildwest_Yuma
WIP : Wildwest Jailbreak
WIP : Wildwest_Muerte
WIP : Wildwest_Abby

User avatar
shLep
Greenhorn
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:15 pm
Contact:

Post by shLep » Sun May 23, 2010 10:38 am

Hey,

So decompiling Canyon was a breeze, took about 20 seconds.

As of q3map2.5.6 (2003-08-15) it is more than possible via the "-convert -format map" switch, however:
Note: not perfect by any means, as certain pieces of data are irretrievably lost, such as func_group entities (including terrain specifics), brush face texturing info, and light/misc_model entities with Q3Map2-generated BSPs
But as you can see, all of the brushwork is in tact. It would require some work to re-fit all the textures, fix the func_group entities, and what not... but it is definately possible.
I really doubt Hewster or B0lty would mind, so long as proper credit was given, etc. Though I would certainly ask first.

The questions is, how bad do you want it? :)



Image

User avatar
Ringo
Site Administrator
Posts: 1036
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: Am*dam
Contact:

Post by Ringo » Mon May 24, 2010 7:53 am

been there , done that..

good luck fixing the "duplicate brush" and ghost brush planes ..
bobtoolz will really bash it up ..
WIP : Wildwest ET
WIP : Wildwest_Radar
WIP : Wildwest_Sanmiguel
WIP : Wildwest_Yuma
WIP : Wildwest Jailbreak
WIP : Wildwest_Muerte
WIP : Wildwest_Abby

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests