Well hello there!

WIP: Ghost Dance

More or less everything you want to know about mapping for WildWest.

Moderators: Ringo, wwbiteme, zivs

Ringo
Site Administrator

Post by Ringo » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:41 pm

well ,

ill soup up anything u think off .. within reason ;)

im sure im online tonight :)
WIP : Wildwest ET
WIP : Wildwest_Radar
WIP : Wildwest_Sanmiguel
WIP : Wildwest_Yuma
WIP : Wildwest Jailbreak
WIP : Wildwest_Muerte
WIP : Wildwest_Abby

El_Pedo_Ciego
Prospector
Prospector

Post by El_Pedo_Ciego » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:36 pm

zivs wrote:.. if one of my friends will gather his will and create some secret stuff for me ...
Is that a David Eddings reference by any chance? (gather will)
/PF/ El_Pedo_Ciego - a.k.a LonePedo -

"I maintain a steady diet of rare steaks, beef jerky and live ammunition..."

zivs
Super Moderator

Post by zivs » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:22 am

El_Pedo_Ciego wrote:Is that a David Eddings reference by any chance? (gather will)
Probably my weak English (trying to translate directly from LAT to ENG) :)

El_Pedo_Ciego
Prospector
Prospector

Post by El_Pedo_Ciego » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:54 pm

Ahh, well... If any of you have not read the "Belgariad" and the "Mallorean" by David Eddings, you should. My fav fantasy second only to Tolkein and just ahead of R.A. Salvatore and Drizzt.

Waaay off topic I know.
/PF/ El_Pedo_Ciego - a.k.a LonePedo -

"I maintain a steady diet of rare steaks, beef jerky and live ammunition..."

Ringo
Site Administrator

Post by Ringo » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:55 pm

aye ,

but hang on im working on the ghost thiny magoo :)

basicly i only need to rescript it .. but i have promised a new version of yuma .. so that comes first :)

zivs
Super Moderator

Post by zivs » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:58 pm

I must confess that I still haven't installed Radiant on new OS's, meaning, that for over two or more weeks I haven't done any progress with anything related to maps ... Hopefully will change in a week or two, lol! :)

Ringo
Site Administrator

Post by Ringo » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:03 pm

well i have been busy alot ..

ill try to squeeeze some time for yah's

zivs
Super Moderator

Post by zivs » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:15 am

Seems like in few days there could be somewhat working super-mega-pre-alpha-and-ugly-as-hell version for testing. Just to let you know - there will be remade all the Indian side of the map (if it will be Indian at all), hopefully it will stay nightly as seen in first screenshots, plus the objective will be King of the Hill type (thanks to Ringo, who managed to convert the script from RtCW).

Now just to find more inspiration to continue ... :roll:

El Poncho
Prospector
Prospector

Post by El Poncho » Sun May 02, 2010 4:06 am

zivs wrote:Regarding the map setting - can anyone reveal the info, if there's actually available rain (you know .. rain drops and shizzle) and also - how to add a fog to the map? Preferably such one, who's only up to knees or something - not blocking the distance ahead ... :shock:

Also the secret how to add custom sounds and custom textures would be appreciated ... :roll:
I know that you may have changed your mind completely about the rain thing, but I spent a lot of time researching and trying to implement rain into one of the rtcw maps I created. I found that there were 2 possible ways of doing it if I remember right. However, there was concern that it would drop frame rates considerably.

Of course, the tutorials on how to do it have long disappeared from the web as far as I can tell. I remember that Kos had a tutorial with example maps and scripts, but I can't seem to find any of them online anymore. I do have the original files though. Here's the Kos Rain Tutorial files:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/ujtw31uw5 ... torial.zip
-Prior to moving to the Wild West, I was called Bonesetter and had a cool sig like this:

zivs
Super Moderator

Post by zivs » Sun May 02, 2010 12:21 pm

Thanks! Will have a look on that one :) Although haven't turned on Radiant for a while now ... somehow lost for a while interest in mapping due to real life issues. But that will change soon I hope! :)

shLep
Greenhorn

Post by shLep » Sun May 02, 2010 5:56 pm

Hey I know I'm chiming in late here, but thought I'd add my 2 cents.
I love the idea and think you should continue with it. however I have some suggestions.

- remove the garish "light" entities - they are harsh and almost never work.
- rely on texture shaders to produce your lighting (i.e. the lighting needs to make sense and come from logical sources = your torches).
- the bright side of this is that you can use styles and other shader properties to make the lighting flicker/etc - and again look logical.
- if these sources aren't bright enough, I'd recommend changing the sky from black to a dark and cloudy purple/blue
- after that you can set the _ambient worldspawn lighting to "logically" brighten things up a bit.

Fog/Rain
You never want to do both at once simply because the alpha layer passes on each texture of rain and fog sprites would be intersecting. So instead of 2 texture passes through a specific (alpha texture) coordinate on your map, it would be at least 4 passes.

Now multiply that by how large your map is. That's a lot of PASSES! Many Alpha textures always add a heavy load to a map. And generally speaking one can usually only afford to do rain OR fog. However if the fog and rain don't intersect, and its a relatively small map, I'd say is possible to do them both. Just keep the fog really low, and keep the rain brushes above the fog level.

El Poncho
Prospector
Prospector

Post by El Poncho » Sun May 02, 2010 9:39 pm

zivs wrote:Thanks! Will have a look on that one :) Although haven't turned on Radiant for a while now ... somehow lost for a while interest in mapping due to real life issues. But that will change soon I hope! :)
Haha, I know how that goes...only problem is I gained interest and real life seems to be getting in the way...bachelor party next weekend, wedding in 3 weeks, etc. :P
-Prior to moving to the Wild West, I was called Bonesetter and had a cool sig like this:

zivs
Super Moderator

Post by zivs » Sun May 02, 2010 9:42 pm

Wow! Congrats on wedding! Seems like we're losing another man who will fall under girl's heavy boot :D

What comes to those issues - it's just the real life problems which are torturing me for a while, which is why I can't really concentrate on mapping. If I do - lately I lose my inspiration while opening the Radiant, lol .. :shock:

El Dudi
Prospector
Prospector

Post by El Dudi » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:56 am

Hi Zivs! When I see you last time in game I want to ask you about this but I was not on time... What with this great looking map Ghost Dance?? Are you working on this map or something? And maybe someone work on other new WW map??
See you in West!

zivs
Super Moderator

Post by zivs » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:25 pm

I'm once again having sort of more important things to do with my already miserable life like work and earning money :)

What I can tell you for now - I've been doing in past few weeks really small progress on Ghost Dance map, but nothing that much to show in screenshots and not to speak of any pre-alpha releases.