Well hello there!

WIP : YUMA DEV 4 SPAWN FIX

More or less everything you want to know about mapping for WildWest.

Moderators: Ringo, wwbiteme, zivs

shLep
Greenhorn

Post by shLep » Fri May 07, 2010 10:30 pm

lol

I do detect a little hostility... but I'm assuming its in response to my critiques on Yuma and Rio.
Im the new guy here so it was probably not my place to say anything. I was sincerely only trying to help.
As a "veteran" level designer I thought it might help to give some honest feedback.
But I probably could have phrased it better. My apologies.

El Paso only has FPS issues if your computer is close to 10 years old. And while that is a little silly to accommodate too, I definitely will.
What use is a map if no one plays it?

Likewise, I still stand by my offer to help on Yuma in whatever capacity is needed. Let's be friends. :)

Ringo
Site Administrator

Post by Ringo » Sat May 08, 2010 7:06 pm

shLep wrote:lol

I do detect a little hostility... but I'm assuming its in response to my critiques on Yuma and Rio.
Im the new guy here so it was probably not my place to say anything. I was sincerely only trying to help.
As a "veteran" level designer I thought it might help to give some honest feedback.
But I probably could have phrased it better. My apologies.

El Paso only has FPS issues if your computer is close to 10 years old. And while that is a little silly to accommodate too, I definitely will.
What use is a map if no one plays it?

Likewise, I still stand by my offer to help on Yuma in whatever capacity is needed. Let's be friends. :)
lol im not beeing hostile .. far from , its good to have additional mappers oppinions about a map or feature or whatever , in this yuma project i wanted to involve people , since the original yuma idea comes from ignacio , and not by me .. and since iggy isnt here to promote this idea for the map ..i thought i asked the public .. :)

i re-created a scale map of the prison, leaving objectives open whom wanted to change ..
since i have been quite busy the yuma prison has moved a little to the backside ... since the map is soo massive i have to re-build the entire terrain and buildigns ( 4th time now ) ( stretching the engine with the map was bug 1 :P )

if i have some additional spare time ( yes i still play , but i also have to feel like it ) converting everything to models etc .. mapping is good fun but very very very time consuming .. :)

and i thought we are friends ?
WIP : Wildwest ET
WIP : Wildwest_Radar
WIP : Wildwest_Sanmiguel
WIP : Wildwest_Yuma
WIP : Wildwest Jailbreak
WIP : Wildwest_Muerte
WIP : Wildwest_Abby

gunte

Post by gunte » Sat May 08, 2010 10:47 pm

shLep - That would be good. Actually we played yuma a lot some month ago and its a cool map but as said too big. But gameplay was great and many good figths that map :)

If you make a new playable version its easy to distribute by using the autodownload soo we all have it right away from one day to another. It doesn't has to be 100% finished before distributing.

Also it may be added to the rotation :D.

shLep
Greenhorn

Post by shLep » Mon May 10, 2010 4:38 am

hehe, ok.

sounds good to me. where can I take a look at the source file?

zivs
Super Moderator

Post by zivs » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:35 pm

Is my mapping Jedi Ringo-san still working on this one? :roll:

Ringo
Site Administrator

Post by Ringo » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:33 pm

zivs wrote:Is my mapping Jedi Ringo-san still working on this one? :roll:

yes , im working on models of stuff .. and reducing the size is taking more time than i had anticipated

Ringo
Site Administrator

Post by Ringo » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:23 pm

alhrighty,

lets see where i left that awfull map and lets make it better ..

so lets be honest ..

the train gotta go .. or needs to be fixed either way its crossing the gold which leaves shitkicker with alot o points ;)

im going to resize it aswell , as someone put it its nearly kung fu grip ! ..
im going to redo the terrain again .. this time not as it should ( map was to scale .. but its to wide )
its tough as nails on the bandits without hiding so ill add additional stuff ;) maybe some ditches etc..

anyway , i think i have to start mapping again :)

zivs
Super Moderator

Post by zivs » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:36 pm

As much as I've played - the scale of map is OK. The problem is first spawn's distance to gates (or "backdoor") and lack of covers (or extra routes to objective). I'd say - make it more prettier and with more vegetation in first spawns and just .. make it more detailed in following parts :)

There are also problems with last objective - it's just pain in the ass to see defenders spawning just right next to objective. If they had at least several seconds more to get to objective, it would make map more "winnable". At least, that's what I think :)

So far it's a question if in team is at least one or two good snipers who can catch miners + the Gatling's are really not needed, as one good sniper + random Gatling guy who can spot enemy on horizon, boy they make a lot of [no skill] trouble!

Ringo
Site Administrator

Post by Ringo » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:08 am

Well based as a 16 vs 16 map .. it is do-able ,

however the community has reduced drasticly , so a different yuma may be needed , no worry ill save the bigger one for later ..

as far as loading issues , it is a massive map , this is due to the massive surroundings .. so ill cut down on terrain , walls etc infact i deleted the terrain allready :)

so now as far as functional stuff as said before the train probably will have to go ..

but agreed with zivs , ill fix some nice scenery :)

El_Pedo_Ciego
Prospector
Prospector

Post by El_Pedo_Ciego » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:50 am

@Zivs - Have you ever seen pictures of Yuma, Arizona???

I've visited there and let me tell you, besides some cacti there is nothing for vegetation...

@Ringo - Maybe some wrecked wagons, piles of rocks that the prisoners have been breaking, stables and sheds...
/PF/ El_Pedo_Ciego - a.k.a LonePedo -

"I maintain a steady diet of rare steaks, beef jerky and live ammunition..."

Huche_de_Vent
Sheriff
Sheriff

Post by Huche_de_Vent » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:51 pm

Maybe similar to Hacienda's beginning, a little more 3D sculpting and rocks.. even dry creek beds, etc... that would give more cover. Or is that not realistic for Yuma, Ciego?
/PF/Huche
aka gravedigger

"I can tell at sight a Mauser rifle from a javelin."

Ringo
Site Administrator

Post by Ringo » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:05 am

El_Pedo_Ciego wrote:@Zivs - Have you ever seen pictures of Yuma, Arizona???

I've visited there and let me tell you, besides some cacti there is nothing for vegetation...

@Ringo - Maybe some wrecked wagons, piles of rocks that the prisoners have been breaking, stables and sheds...
heh , well its on scale , i restored most of the buildings .. but in essence its too big ..

filling the buildings with scenery and other stuff makes the map even bigger ,

wagons and such are a great idea , i could do that , however based on the gameplay experienced earlier .. the setting is to wide .. so i have to cut on the prison atleast 1/3rd of the map

no damage done though , i still have the to scale one !

Slimeboykill
Prospector
Prospector

Post by Slimeboykill » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:20 pm

Unfortunatley my yellow terrain map isnt working for wildwest :( , because its used on a wolfenstein source, is there any way to change this to a wild west source file?
The British Tradition : Fish and Chips!

Ringo
Site Administrator

Post by Ringo » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:59 pm

send over the map file !

ill make it work

Ringo
Site Administrator

Post by Ringo » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:29 am

plop!

update ..! , last night i have created an updated terrain for yuma , instead of a Base , where its located on , i have constructed the mainstream rocky thing ..

doesnt look that bad , but doesnt look good either so ill post some screenies tonight

- created hills for snipers since its practicly impossible for the bandits to attack what they cant see due to the distance and the height of the walls..

futhermore , i have reducing the size of the interior .. and deleted the train .. was good fun .. but i concluded that gun fights will be more fun is halve of the prison is destructable .. and upcomming battles .. as said .. i think its more fun to have somekind of a maze where people have to listen to where someone is walking ..

all this said , im also redoing the sewer system ( blame stupido for this )

but the best is yet to come !