Well hello there!

Light issues

More or less everything you want to know about mapping for WildWest.

Moderators: Ringo, wwbiteme, zivs

zivs
Super Moderator

Light issues

Post by zivs » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:23 pm

While thinking and a bit moving forward with Ghost Dance map, I've come to not so cool looking issues - light seems to be more like a square rather than a circle drawn on the ground/around objects ... How can I make the light look softer and without all those edges? Since I haven't seen this kind of square-like light on any other stock map, I guess I'm missing something there? Anyone can help out with this thing? :oops:

Ringo
Site Administrator

Re: Light issues

Post by Ringo » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:47 pm

zivs wrote:While thinking and a bit moving forward with Ghost Dance map, I've come to not so cool looking issues - light seems to be more like a square rather than a circle drawn on the ground/around objects ... How can I make the light look softer and without all those edges? Since I haven't seen this kind of square-like light on any other stock map, I guess I'm missing something there? Anyone can help out with this thing? :oops:
well u've stumbled upon a gem here :)
lighting is by far the most annoying issue when it comes to creating maps .

often reflections to textures the light does seem fullbright , however u wanted it not full bright

in your particular case the placement of the light is just bad , and the intensity needs to be a bit higher .. be prepared for massive compile times to get the light right!
WIP : Wildwest ET
WIP : Wildwest_Radar
WIP : Wildwest_Sanmiguel
WIP : Wildwest_Yuma
WIP : Wildwest Jailbreak
WIP : Wildwest_Muerte
WIP : Wildwest_Abby

Huche_de_Vent
Sheriff
Sheriff

Post by Huche_de_Vent » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:41 am

Very interesting, the lights as you have them, zivs, remind me of "quadratic" spot lights in the 3D softs I use. (Handly lights for certain uses, but are usually not the best - hard edges and not easy to soften or blend.) I still haven't dove into Radiant (yet!), but what Ringo is saying about lighting I find very believable. In 3D I can increase render times by several fold depending on light settings.... nasty, nasty. :roll:

I'm learning a lot just following along in these threads :)
/PF/Huche
aka gravedigger

"I can tell at sight a Mauser rifle from a javelin."

El Poncho
Prospector
Prospector

Post by El Poncho » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:53 pm

I know these posts are old...sort of...but are those lights in this pic from entity_light or from the flame texture/shader?

I know that with RTCW there are a bunch of pre-fab textures with shaders that produce light which is much softer, less harsh. I'm actually trying to decide what to do with my map as well as it will be a night-time map and I'm struggling with the lighting inside buildings. It always looks so blasted bright.... :roll:
-Prior to moving to the Wild West, I was called Bonesetter and had a cool sig like this:

Ringo
Site Administrator

Post by Ringo » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:32 am

El Poncho wrote:I know these posts are old...sort of...but are those lights in this pic from entity_light or from the flame texture/shader?

I know that with RTCW there are a bunch of pre-fab textures with shaders that produce light which is much softer, less harsh. I'm actually trying to decide what to do with my map as well as it will be a night-time map and I'm struggling with the lighting inside buildings. It always looks so blasted bright.... :roll:
there is no texture light ;)

El Poncho
Prospector
Prospector

Post by El Poncho » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:50 pm

Ringo wrote:
You mean in WildWest?

http://radiant.robotrenegade.com/manual/ch09/pg9_1.htm

Or do you mean techniquely because it's the shader creating the light?
-Prior to moving to the Wild West, I was called Bonesetter and had a cool sig like this:

Ringo
Site Administrator

Post by Ringo » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:56 am

El Poncho wrote:
Ringo wrote:
You mean in WildWest?

http://radiant.robotrenegade.com/manual/ch09/pg9_1.htm

Or do you mean techniquely because it's the shader creating the light?
"Textures can be made to emit light. " so that narrows it down to ....

a light entity .. makes light :D

as for the "reflect light" or in your words a texture that makes light is the shader

"The amount of light that they give off is determined by two factors: the size of the texture and the value given for its q3map_surfacelight parameter. "

and to use a trick :

http://toolz.nexuizninjaz.com/shader/sh ... ction4.htm

El Poncho
Prospector
Prospector

Post by El Poncho » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:32 pm

Ok, I see what you mean. So I guess my original question should be rephrased and state:

Are there any textures in WW that have shaders already altered to emit light?

I just didn't want to have to mess around with editing shaders etc if I didn't have to....but, with some patience and testing I imagine I could figure it out. :wink:

Ringo
Site Administrator

Post by Ringo » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:19 pm

El Poncho wrote:Ok, I see what you mean. So I guess my original question should be rephrased and state:

Are there any textures in WW that have shaders already altered to emit light?

I just didn't want to have to mess around with editing shaders etc if I didn't have to....but, with some patience and testing I imagine I could figure it out. :wink:
yah ! , openup the scripts folder and open ww_town.shader i think ull get the idea :)
ull see the blended textures :)

El Poncho
Prospector
Prospector

Post by El Poncho » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:50 pm

Back to the lighting stuff...

After checking out the lighting in the ww_town and ww_hacienda map, I'm a little confused still. Does anyone know of a reference showing examples of things you can do with _light, _lightjunior, and _dlight entities? In which situtations should you use each and when does one combine them etc.?

I suppose I could just throw together a room and do a whole bunch of examples, just not so sure how they should properly be used. I see in the town map for example, there's light coming in from windows and the torches have several lights stacked on top of each other.

Ringo
Site Administrator

Post by Ringo » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:43 am

El Poncho wrote:Back to the lighting stuff...

After checking out the lighting in the ww_town and ww_hacienda map, I'm a little confused still. Does anyone know of a reference showing examples of things you can do with _light, _lightjunior, and _dlight entities? In which situtations should you use each and when does one combine them etc.?

I suppose I could just throw together a room and do a whole bunch of examples, just not so sure how they should properly be used. I see in the town map for example, there's light coming in from windows and the torches have several lights stacked on top of each other.
best way to test this is :

create a small room with light , your compile time with your actual map will take hours :(

i could explain it all but , running it yourself will get u to understand it fully :)

but to aid u a bit :

http://games.chruker.dk/enemy_territory/entities.php

El Poncho
Prospector
Prospector

Post by El Poncho » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:21 pm

Thanks, that helps explain a bit more.

That's a good list, bookmarked. :wink:

I will experiment when I have some free time. :P

Ringo
Site Administrator

Post by Ringo » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:05 pm

problem is offcourse , every light has a different issue on certain kind of textures ..

so what i suggest , create a small room with 90% of your textures , then use the light to experiment .. 1 is texture lit the other surroundings :)

Hewster
Site Administrator

Post by Hewster » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:20 pm

Just a quick reply here...

If you look at the torch lights in the "cave" bit of town, I put 4 light entities....
"please forgive if this explanation is not 100% correct ... its been like 7 years !! lol)

1) the DLight (simply for a flickering "dynamic" light, that works in-game.. ie.. not taken into account during the map compilation

2) A normal light with a fairly short fade, for showing basically the light in the lightmap (used during compile time)

3) A normal light with a long fade, to give an "ambient" light effect (I hate using a general ambient, so use normal lights dotted around where I feel they are needed)

4) a Light Junior, this is used to add light info to the LightGrid (used to light dynamic models in game, ie players)

I would suggest making test maps and playing with the above lights to get an understanding of how they are best used (Its how I learned, and its something that cannot be taught :) )

Peace,

Hewster

El Poncho
Prospector
Prospector

Post by El Poncho » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:35 am

Thank you Hewster!

That was a good explanation, definately helped me understand it better. Now to play around with it...

:D