Well hello there!

Free map source to anyone who wants it.

More or less everything you want to know about mapping for WildWest.

Moderators: Ringo, wwbiteme, zivs

SangrelX
Greenhorn

Free map source to anyone who wants it.

Post by SangrelX » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:49 pm

Free map source

LARGE open area map that I was toying with years back -- never did anything with it but roam around playing because well I didnt know enough about mapping at the time to properly make the map this large and not drop FPS like mad

I dont feel like fixing it up but maybe somewhere here would like to have it and get it fixed up for playing or what not -- IDK just do something with it.

only thing I ask is that atleast a credit be thrown my way if you use it.

here a DL Link for the entire source including easygen terrain files

http://lastnightsdesigns.com/map.zip

cant tell ya much more about the map since its been so long ive forgotten most of it

have fun with it.
SangrelX

zivs
Super Moderator

Post by zivs » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:08 pm

Whoa! That's a nice map you got there! 8) Was it already functional/playable when stopped working on it? If there's nothing much besides decorations and small tweaks required - we could maybe already put it on Saloon 24/7 server for testing? 8)

Anyway, it's really nice to see that you've decided not to bury the map, but to give it a chance to be finished and/or polished :)

SangrelX
Greenhorn

si.

Post by SangrelX » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:47 pm

if memory serves correctly, all objs, and such worked fine and as planned -- I just didnt finish it out.

the last thing I remember was i needed to fix the FPS issues - hint brushes etc..

because of it being so out in the open it killed FPS

-- there were all kinds of interesting things in the map I added for pure fun. one thing I remember was if you managed to fall down the old town well it would announce to the level -- Timmy fell down the well again!!

lol

just fun little quirks -- there is a bath house, church, school house, court house, saloon, blacksmith, and plenty more in the town etc.. as well as the old steam paddle boat ..

I dont remember much else - if anyone compiles it into a working base map without any tweaks and such I would like a copy to roam around and explore it again been ages since I have seen what all was in it.

zivs
Super Moderator

Post by zivs » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:58 pm

Yeah, I've compiled it and had a run around - indeed there are enormous FPS drops (the amount of small details like the keys, letters on all buildings and stuff like that probably are the ones which could cause those drops also I guess), but that could be fixed easily I guess. And if all objectives were already working, then in few days of polishing things up it could successfully enter the testing phrase!

SangrelX
Greenhorn

lol

Post by SangrelX » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:02 pm

yea little details are what I like but its so much more to draw it drops FPS

can you send me a copy of the working map compile? i wanna explore it

:)

just email it

J.Garber@lastnightsdesigns.com

zivs
Super Moderator

Post by zivs » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:44 pm

Will do it as soon as will be on Windows!

gunte

Post by gunte » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:45 pm

Hi thats really a great input. Thank you very much - if zivs, ringo another could solve the fps etc then we could post it on the server - no prob :)

SangrelX
Greenhorn

woo

Post by SangrelX » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:29 am

yea id love to see it used - I spents hours and hours creating it

I started that though back when WW only had like what 5 maps -- Hacienda, Town, Canyon, Pedros, Beach

now i see it has a lot of new maps out. im having a hard time comming back into it all LOL i get lost more then I used to remember.

I gotta admit though some of Zivs work is wicked. the idea for Ghost Dance looks really good!!

El Dragon
Retired

Post by El Dragon » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:15 pm

FPS spikes are caused by massive tri counts in viewable areas (i.e. large open areas with lots of stuff to see will do that to you).

SangrelX
Greenhorn

Post by SangrelX » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:37 am

El Dragon wrote:FPS spikes are caused by massive tri counts in viewable areas (i.e. large open areas with lots of stuff to see will do that to you).
thats how i understood it - and from what i understand Hint brushes can be used to basically tell it Not to draw them until player is within view of it.

I just never finished the map -- i forget why - probably got side tracked - but its all there and scripted including custom shaders etc..

someone just needs to weed out the FPS bugs and then its pretty much ready to test

im tempted to get back into mapping i have some ideas id love to implement in WW for some fun games

El Dragon
Retired

Post by El Dragon » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:19 pm

gringo star used fog on battlecreek to cut down on tri counts as well (and improve fps) so while the battle is in a big open town, you don't see the entire map at once from everywhere on the map. (draw back is it's the only map where I don't have an arial view of for the guide.

also one of the reasons why canyon map was sortened as the tri counts in the first part of the map were causing fps issues.

And yes even old town map if you are near the bridge the tri counts can affect you there as well.

El Stupido
Sheriff
Sheriff

Post by El Stupido » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:50 pm

Anyone know what is causing the extremely poor FPS on El Paso (the train platform at the Bandit start)? Doesn't really effect much, just have always wondered?

El Dragon
Retired

Post by El Dragon » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:39 pm

that one is a wierd one as you can find a difinitave line of good/bad (we traced it years back but never did isolate what caused it.)

SangrelX
Greenhorn

hey

Post by SangrelX » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:57 am

Hey guys -- im actually going to do some work on this map since I have nothing to do really & i have reinstalled ALL my files for mapping

ill see if i cant release a beta soon

Zivs and Ringo if I cannot solve the FPS issues we might need to put our heads togather and track down the cause

after loading it up and exploring it again

ive put to much work into whats there to not finish it -- so imma complete it

EDIT - After doing some exploring and taking notes on repairs needed -- ive also managed to get a solid 90FPS through the entire map now LOL

gunte

Post by gunte » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:46 pm

Cool :) . Exiting to see what you doing with this. Just pm me with a link (direct link to the source please) then i put it on one of the testservers.