Well hello there!

Wild West El Rio beta 2 feedback thread

More or less everything you want to know about mapping for WildWest.

Moderators: Ringo, wwbiteme, zivs

El Dragon
Retired

Wild West El Rio beta 2 feedback thread

Post by El Dragon » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:09 pm

To keep clutter down (as most issues with beta 1 have been taken care of) list new issues, comments, etc. here.

File download:

http://lastnightsdesigns.com/ww/wildwest_elrio2.pk3

El Dragon
Retired

Post by El Dragon » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:19 pm

not bad some minor issues and a brainstorming with a few came up with the following:

Make the boat a 2 plant obj (similar to cowboys) we schemed and came up with this:

Add a door and short railing at front to keep folks from jumping into boat from outside (folks can jump out of boat from inside)
Add plant zone for bandits to gain access to boat. Note this zone is exposed like the cowboy first plant.

Next we need to fix the hole folks fall into behind smith shack. a simple clip here should fix it

many windows seem to be double paned or bared (causing redundant use of textures and such) clean up windows so only one set of panes/bars (few shots shown) but the doubles are everywhere.

steal the bottle model from town and replace these square bottles

we tested all issues with version one and found all to be fixed. the underground route does seem to get it's fair share of traffic now and adds another route for both teams (and battle zones).

I'm thinking that the cactus at the top of the ledge over bandit spawn should be returned (with its spikes) as it's still a camping issue from up there.

And yes the map seems to work well with a crowd (look what I just left)

gunte

Post by gunte » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:47 pm

cool :D

El Dudi
Prospector
Prospector

Post by El Dudi » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:57 pm

El Dragon have absolutly right with those corrections. But its really great map. We need more like that. This map make that servers are almost full whole day! Its amazing :D

El Stupido
Sheriff
Sheriff

Post by El Stupido » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:11 am

Great changes Sangrel ! I love the underground area. Here are a couple things I noticed today:

This horse by the well is floating off the ground slightly. The one in the stable is OK.

The chairs in the saloon are not clipped and you can walk right through them.

The volley gun in the armory still repeats over and over like the nades used to do.

The next 7 pictures are all pieces of furniture which you can stand on, but nades and dyno fall through as if they aren't there. I suspect all the others are that way too, but I got tired of snapping pictures..lol

I also found this obvious example of racist graffiti (probably done by the cowboys?) :D

Great work ! Fantastic map.

SangrelX
Greenhorn

Post by SangrelX » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:22 am

hey guys, ill keep all this in mind from the feedback and make some changes

now my issues are

the double windows are double because the texture was acting very funny - when I did a nodraw on one side and drew window on the main side - it was totally invisible from inside the building because that brush had a nodraw on it.

however I think i found the issue with this one. it seems i have 2 different window textures and one works properly and one does the invisible trick IDK why... will fix it

The furniture that seems to have nades and ammo fall through it must be because they have normal clip brushes around em and not Clip weapon brushes-- i need to fix this as well

will be fixing the horses height lol.. i notice now he is off ground

will clip the chairs in saloon i thought i had everything clipped guess i missed something

as for the bottles in the doctors storage area that entire shelf is a Model taken from Hacienda so I cannot change the bottles shape.

The armory cage is going to be 100% different now. instead of specific weapons it will in next release contain ONLY ammo packs

I had to hand code ammo packs into the entities list because for some darned reason my GTK and entities definitions did not have ammo packs in them.

I also found out the spawn names for every weapon in game so I can make items spawn if i wanted to. say you click a button or perform an action it will spawn the weapon i specify

the boat dyno

I thought about this the other night as well after playing rounds with a group of people it was way way to easy to plant TNT on the boat

I am considering a solution like yours -- the boat has to be blown open to get into it THEN plant TNT to blow up the boiler (steam engine)

as for the holes behind black smiths shack -- I thought i put a clip brush there i guess i forgot it. LOL

Now as for explanation of file size -- I did link to models - I added no models to my zip files / pk3 they are all taken direct from stock maps. the only things in my pk3 are the few sounds that are custom, the custom texture, levelshot, and obj images.

the map is just that big with all the underground area and above ground

ill keep touching up on it we will see what happens in next release..

El Dragon
Retired

Post by El Dragon » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:01 am

I also think this map would make a great CTF map (5-6 flags easy to scatter about though spawn changes may be needed) and also would make a fun shootem up TDM map (here again good spawn zones so one team can't be easily camped.

For a version 2 beta I'm much impressed. I didn't know that was from Hacienda, my bad.

SangrelX
Greenhorn

Post by SangrelX » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:20 am

Dragon ill look into making CTF and TDM modes more near total completion of the map

right now guys ive changed the boat for cowboys so that it now has an actual engine room and you must blow that door open to get in and blow the engine itself of course its a still a steam engine lol

Also finally!!! Fixed the windows LOL.. they all function now nades , bullets, etc.. both ways and NONE of them are double pane looking lol

still working on it all right now -- going to properly Clip brush entities so that nades etc... shit dont fall through it all

ill keep ya posted guys

zivs
Super Moderator

Post by zivs » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:27 am

Bandit underground entrances could be made a bit wider - it's quite hard to get in them (especially the one which is in house)

Maybe some higher box or barrel or that cushion could be applied here - otherwise it's almost all the time leading to falling damage ...

How necessary is this room? Maybe you can simply clip it out and close the door, as there's simply no need of it?

Same goes with this one - maybe to clip it out or to put benches next to windows, so it's somewhat useful at least for snipers? If snipers could access it - it would make it a little bit easier for cowboys to gain access to bank barricades (protecting dynomite).

El Dragon
Retired

Post by El Dragon » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:15 pm

zivs how about a shot of the outside of those 2 buildings (as they look similar from the inside)

zivs
Super Moderator

Post by zivs » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:40 pm

Both of them are in Gentlemen Saloon 2nd floor, and if I remember correctly - there are three rooms in total, including the one with ladders from 1st to 2nd floor, so it wouldn't be hard to figure out which one of them are, but anyway - here's the shot!

P.S.
Ah, just checked that I didn't really mention in which building they are in previous post. Sorry!

El Stupido
Sheriff
Sheriff

Post by El Stupido » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:48 pm

I like unused rooms like these. It gives me a place to hide from Kicker or Zippy while I try to heal as much as I can. Sometimes I find Forced in there, and we sit and cry together until the round is over. :D

Huche_de_Vent
Sheriff
Sheriff

Post by Huche_de_Vent » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:55 pm

LOL Stupido! So long as your hiding room has a winder for me to toss a nade in, it's all cool. :twisted:
/PF/Huche
aka gravedigger

"I can tell at sight a Mauser rifle from a javelin."

El Stupido
Sheriff
Sheriff

Post by El Stupido » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:14 pm

Huche_de_Vent wrote:LOL Stupido! So long as your hiding room has a winder for me to toss a nade in, it's all cool. :twisted:
Thanks for the reminder Huche! Sangrel, please remove the windows from the two upper rooms. Thank you. :twisted:

SangrelX
Greenhorn

Post by SangrelX » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:41 am

thats kind of the reason i made several basic rooms was to give areas for hiding, healing, etc..