Well hello there!

Wild West El Rio beta 2 feedback thread

More or less everything you want to know about mapping for WildWest.

Moderators: Ringo, wwbiteme, zivs

El Dragon
Retired

Post by El Dragon » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:23 pm

I've noticed something that may explain the occasional lower level names popping up in locations when above ground.

When underground you can hear and see gun flashes above. How thin is that layer between upper level and lower one. I'm guessing it's only a pixel thin :o

If possible lower the ceiling of the upper level a 'foot' (game equivilent) or so and that might solve the location issue and not give us sneaking underground an exact local of defenders before we get top side.

Grateful Dead
Prospector
Prospector

Post by Grateful Dead » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:49 am

Thanks for this !

I appreciate winning this map ; It can be difficult so the reward is sweeter

first off---it would be impossible in a head to head match for the bandit to complete the entire set of objectives before the cowboy is able to blow up the boat.

but alas, with some luck, and some /kill command timing , I was able and it was very pleasing 8)

would love to say what I think would make the map different ; the middle area, the mass of buildings, could be built up more somehow? it is easy to snipe across the map and can be easily "pinned down" by cowboy snipers . some more second story cover and windows will keeps everyone's head duckin' :) :) :)

your map is terrific as it is :D
I AM THAT I AM -exodus 3:14

SangrelX
Greenhorn

Post by SangrelX » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:53 am

yea - im thinking of a revamp on the town - phase out some buildings by making them just a detail and not a useable building because we dont need all of them that are there

i have not had time to work on it though been very busy....

ill get to it soon i hope

Grateful Dead
Prospector
Prospector

Post by Grateful Dead » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:29 pm

nah I think it would be better to just build ontop of what you already have... I like all the buildings --trust me ; they are used . and if there were more buildings , they will be used even more.

I understand your lack of time ; like I said this map is terrific as it is!
I AM THAT I AM -exodus 3:14

SangrelX
Greenhorn

Post by SangrelX » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:38 pm

The problem with all the buildings and adding more is that they are causing bad FPS drops in some spots - I could not get hint brushes to work right to stop the Frame problems the only solution i could think of was to remove a lot of things just make them look like they are there but not be usable etc...

gunte

Post by gunte » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:41 pm

Hi infact the map is in the normal rotation and it really rocks. Honestly i really don't think about any problems with this map - just play and have fun. However it is more easy to just blow up the boat than to blow up door and bankbox and run with the gold...Thats make the map a little unbalanced which i see as the only (real problem) with this map. However still a great nice map to play :)

Huche_de_Vent
Sheriff
Sheriff

Post by Huche_de_Vent » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:30 pm

Like Gunte said, depending on teams, Bandits can win quickly by blowing boat... as was suggested earlier I believe, maybe making the boat destory a multi-step process? 2 TNT like bank, or maybe have to blow engine room open with a couple single tnt sticks/nades or something.

But I too have really enjoyed thi s map in rotation. If the Cowboys are strong and prevent a very quick boat kill, the match rarely ends within timelimit... good fights. :D
/PF/Huche
aka gravedigger

"I can tell at sight a Mauser rifle from a javelin."

Ringo
Site Administrator

Post by Ringo » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:21 pm

Right , i finally had some time to play this map :D

comments time :)
( i played v2 so i don't know if its current .. however)

constructive comment :

1) the water , when using the "kb_waterinvis" get a bit more darkness around some area's .. its hard to tell its water or ground ... or use beach's or the hacienda fountain texture .. ( u can locate them inside the shader ...)

2) the sound .. i do recall its midday .. or my sound is lying .. :)

3) textures .. use the S feature so the textures will fix :) and CTRL Shift to select a surface

4) textures2 , im getting lost on the stuff looks similar .. ( editing the shaderlist.txt to add more shaders KFG etc might give u more to work with..)

5) great work ,... we need more mappers .. :)
WIP : Wildwest ET
WIP : Wildwest_Radar
WIP : Wildwest_Sanmiguel
WIP : Wildwest_Yuma
WIP : Wildwest Jailbreak
WIP : Wildwest_Muerte
WIP : Wildwest_Abby

zivs
Super Moderator

Post by zivs » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:59 pm

Almost month around and no progress report on El Rio? :? SangrelX, are you still polishing up (or working at all) this map? Otherwise players start to get bored with the current release and mostly do nextmap vote if not immediately when the map loads, then on second round for sure .. :shock:

El Dragon
Retired

Post by El Dragon » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:20 pm

patience zivs, You weren't arround for some of the early map testing (one of our mappers was based in new orleans for the hurricane, (we though we lost him till he reappeared in cali for a temp relocation.)

I'm impressed at the initial level for the release of elrio and it's update. I think he's working on all the final stuff so that the next could be the final (unless we find a way to break it.)

zivs
Super Moderator

Post by zivs » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:47 pm

I'm patient, just that I was wondering if SangrelX is still working on the map, that's all! :) And yeah can't disagree with you that the Rio map at it's current stage is more or less close to final stage :)

Ringo
Site Administrator

Post by Ringo » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:58 am

El Dragon wrote:patience zivs, You weren't arround for some of the early map testing (one of our mappers was based in new orleans for the hurricane, (we though we lost him till he reappeared in cali for a temp relocation.)

I'm impressed at the initial level for the release of elrio and it's update. I think he's working on all the final stuff so that the next could be the final (unless we find a way to break it.)
euhm... what has patience to do with zivs not beeing around the early map testing ?
i fail to see the link ..

El Stupido
Sheriff
Sheriff

Post by El Stupido » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:51 pm

Ringo wrote:
El Dragon wrote:patience zivs, You weren't arround for some of the early map testing (one of our mappers was based in new orleans for the hurricane, (we though we lost him till he reappeared in cali for a temp relocation.)

euhm... what has patience to do with zivs not beeing around the early map testing ?
I think when Dragon said "You weren't around for some of the early map testing" he is saying "if you think this is taking a long time, you should have seen how long it used to take" :D

I didn't take zivs question as impatience. I think he feels as I do; that Rio is a great map that just needs a few game-play tweaks so that people will play it more, rather than vote next map as we've been seeing.

Ringo
Site Administrator

Post by Ringo » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:30 pm

El Stupido wrote:
Ringo wrote:

I think when Dragon said "You weren't around for some of the early map testing" he is saying "if you think this is taking a long time, you should have seen how long it used to take" :D

I didn't take zivs question as impatience. I think he feels as I do; that Rio is a great map that just needs a few game-play tweaks so that people will play it more, rather than vote next map as we've been seeing.
lol @ the long time :)

@ the nextmap vote its understandable that new maps in rotation get voted away .. 1 not everyone has them and 2) not everyone knows where to go .. and thats frustrating on a sunday ...
as i stated earlier .. a sunday ( or weekend rotation ) is more likely to get more people in the saddle .. and stated earlier aswell set up a beta server for testing purposes .. and put them on a new rotation .

El Dragon
Retired

Post by El Dragon » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:34 pm

so you 'vets' kill the vote, then show the new guys where to go?

How hard is that?