Well hello there!

WildWest: Poncho's Secret

More or less everything you want to know about mapping for WildWest.

Moderators: Ringo, wwbiteme, zivs

El Poncho
Prospector
Prospector

Post by El Poncho » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:47 pm

At this time, the plan is as follows:

1st Scenario 1: Cowboys are camped by the river on the outskirts of town and have to two ways to enter town to steal Poncho's secret tequila.
A. Blow up the rocks blocking the mountain path
B. Blow up the front gate to gain access to the town

There will be a forward spawn point, that will push the Bandits farther away from the objective, moving the cowboys spawn inside town.
(haven't decided to make this permanent or more like the forward bunker on the beach map)

2: Cowboys must run with the tequila back to the horses waiting to take them down river, escaping with the objective.
3: Bandits will spawn in a location close enough to have time to defend the town gate as well as the mountain initially, if the spawn is taken they
will be pushed back making it easier for the cowboys to get into Poncho's Saloon and making the objective harder to defend.

2nd Scenario: Basically reverse the cowboys and bandits and make it so the bandits are trying to take back what was rightfully theirs.

Of course, I plan on putting in some other special secrets, only Stupido knows about those and I have his kids hostage so he can't share the info.... :shock:
-Prior to moving to the Wild West, I was called Bonesetter and had a cool sig like this:

El Stupido
Sheriff
Sheriff

Post by El Stupido » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:38 pm

El Poncho wrote:Of course, I plan on putting in some other special secrets, only Stupido knows about those and I have his kids hostage so he can't share the info.... :shock:
Haha!.. Are you sure you told me? If so, the memory is gone (remember, I'm old like Hijo.) :twisted:

Ringo
Site Administrator

Post by Ringo » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:24 am

El Poncho wrote:At this time, the plan is as follows:

1st Scenario 1: Cowboys are camped by the river on the outskirts of town and have to two ways to enter town to steal Poncho's secret tequila.
A. Blow up the rocks blocking the mountain path
B. Blow up the front gate to gain access to the town

There will be a forward spawn point, that will push the Bandits farther away from the objective, moving the cowboys spawn inside town.
(haven't decided to make this permanent or more like the forward bunker on the beach map)

2: Cowboys must run with the tequila back to the horses waiting to take them down river, escaping with the objective.
3: Bandits will spawn in a location close enough to have time to defend the town gate as well as the mountain initially, if the spawn is taken they
will be pushed back making it easier for the cowboys to get into Poncho's Saloon and making the objective harder to defend.

2nd Scenario: Basically reverse the cowboys and bandits and make it so the bandits are trying to take back what was rightfully theirs.

Of course, I plan on putting in some other special secrets, only Stupido knows about those and I have his kids hostage so he can't share the info.... :shock:
oh goody ! when did u you say u last scripted ? :P
WIP : Wildwest ET
WIP : Wildwest_Radar
WIP : Wildwest_Sanmiguel
WIP : Wildwest_Yuma
WIP : Wildwest Jailbreak
WIP : Wildwest_Muerte
WIP : Wildwest_Abby

El Poncho
Prospector
Prospector

Post by El Poncho » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:44 pm

Ringo wrote:oh goody ! when did u you say u last scripted ? :P

Sometime in 2003 or 2004 I think? :P

I may need your assistance with that if you're willing...but...I figured it out before, I'm sure I can figure it out again. :wink:

I don't think I'll struggle too much with the objective portion of it...it will be one of the "secrets" in the map that may be a little too complicated for me...
-Prior to moving to the Wild West, I was called Bonesetter and had a cool sig like this:

Slimeboykill
Prospector
Prospector

Post by Slimeboykill » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:35 pm

Looks Really Awesome!
The British Tradition : Fish and Chips!

Ringo
Site Administrator

Post by Ringo » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:56 am

El Poncho wrote:
Ringo wrote:oh goody ! when did u you say u last scripted ? :P

Sometime in 2003 or 2004 I think? :P

I may need your assistance with that if you're willing...but...I figured it out before, I'm sure I can figure it out again. :wink:

I don't think I'll struggle too much with the objective portion of it...it will be one of the "secrets" in the map that may be a little too complicated for me...
lol ill aid you where i can :D

scripting isnt hard just alot of testing ;) .. anyway ill hear u quick enough :)

El Poncho
Prospector
Prospector

Post by El Poncho » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:01 pm

Just an update as to what things are shaping up like. :D

Keep in mind, the lighting is just experimental at this point and will look a lot better when it's completed some time in 2015. :P

View above the trainstation:

View from down the street in front of the sheriff's office:

It's crazy how long it takes to make such simple buildings if you want them to look right. :roll:

Ringo
Site Administrator

Post by Ringo » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:33 am

lol ..

how about some more hills ? HAHAHAHHA

ahem.. hardest part is getting everything just right ..

fun starts when people are exploiting certain issues :D

El Poncho
Prospector
Prospector

Post by El Poncho » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:49 pm

Ringo wrote:lol ..

how about some more hills ? HAHAHAHHA
Hey now... I guess I don't know of too many hilly cities. That, and because terrain has always been a pain in the you know what for me, I tried to make my town set on flat land with surrounding mountains to make construction easier. There are some hills, but they won't be evident from screenshots of the town buildings and will mostly be by the attacking teams spawn, because that is out in the wilderness. Think of Hacienda make or Town map. The buildings and/or town is on flat terrain, but the attacking team starts outside the town/buildings and has to gain entry. That was my thought process behind my map. :roll:

Not that hills are bad, just didn't think they would fit in well in the middle of town. :wink:

Ringo
Site Administrator

Post by Ringo » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:09 pm

heh.. i never said u should :)

( my remark was meant as funny .. not that u should do :) )

everyone maps @ a flat base to start with

( im not saying my method is best .. every mapper has its how ritual )

( shoebox )

i always start with creating the bases of buildings , test a few times if the gameplay is alright , height of somestuff ( full bright lighting )

delete the shoebox .. and then start creating new terrain .. so its final ( sort of )

El Poncho
Prospector
Prospector

Post by El Poncho » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:40 pm

So if I'm following you correctly, you essentially create a basic version of your map, then add terrain afterwards once the flow seems about right? Do you create a heightmap in photoshop or something and import to easygen? Or does easygen have the ability to edit terrain in the program? (I don't know too much about it, just enough to create some terrain)

With this map, I drew out the general layout on paper taking in consideration the objectives and what I kind of wanted for terrain, then did the heightmap in photoshop, put it into easygen, and now am going back putting the buildings where I wanted them. Of course, I'm finding that I'm changing my mind a lot now. :P

Ringo
Site Administrator

Post by Ringo » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:45 pm

well , yes

IMO , the height map is kindoff useless , i alter the height anyway once imported

lets say u have a PCX, BMP with some stuff drawn on that .. but u decide to draw a hill
the height map of the map actually doesnt mean anything .. only relevance ull get from that is the basic height .. well with some common sense in ezgen ull figure that out anyway since a player spawn always appear in the grid

what i do .. i design buildings .. use the box surrounding the map .. usually a wooden texture as sky etc .. test it .

remove the box again and all hint textures / clips etc , then import it in EZ gen..

the buildings then appear on the GRID and u can brush around them ditches / hills tunnels whatever

El Poncho
Prospector
Prospector

Post by El Poncho » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:26 pm

Well, I guess if I ever finish this map, I may have to give that method a shot. It looks like that would be a better way to go. :D

Oh and BTW...you better click that bubble because your computer might be at risk! :P

Silly Windows.... 8)

Ringo
Site Administrator

Post by Ringo » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:58 am

lol its just a bare pc only radiant and ez-gen .. btw anti virus slows the compile drasticly

Ringo
Site Administrator

Post by Ringo » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:28 pm

as u see in my screenshots , i created some floor which reflect the colors a little , so that the colors are right..

lighting is another chapter and sort of irrelevant in my stage since im making another highnoon map ..

once im happy how it performs or looks ill start creating the terrain.. and even then im thinking .. well how bout some squirrels here ? ( bob ross)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lurt5FosdB4