Well hello there!

Editing Terrain

More or less everything you want to know about mapping for WildWest.

Moderators: Ringo, wwbiteme, zivs

El Poncho
Prospector
Prospector

Editing Terrain

Post by El Poncho » Tue May 04, 2010 5:07 am

I decided to start a new thread because of my question getting lost in the other post.

When trying to add say a tunnel to terrain, shLep suggested doing the following:

I don't recall any specific tutorials on that, but basically you need to do the following.
- never use CSG subtract
- copy down all the settings of your terrain entity in Radiant, and un-group it (move the entire terrain to worldbrush).
- from there you can delete individual triangle pieces of the terrain (but refrain from CSG subtracting pieces of the terrain even)
- avoid intersecting world brushes with terrain, but due to the point above, this cant be helped sometimes.
- key is, each point (vertex) of a terrain triangle needs to line up on a grid exactly (snapped).
- once this is done, select all pieces of your terrain (filter out everything else in your map, and press I to select all).
- convert the terrain pieces back to an entity using the settings you saved above
- finished. terrain with holes in it.

I'm not sure which info I need exactly, or how to do all of those steps at this point. But after selecting a terrain brush and hitting "n" I get this info:
classname func_group
terrain 1
layers 6
shader myshader/terrain
alphamap myalphamap.pcx

Does a guy need to have all of the terrain selected? Or will just one brush suffice? :roll:
-Prior to moving to the Wild West, I was called Bonesetter and had a cool sig like this:

Ringo
Site Administrator

Post by Ringo » Tue May 04, 2010 2:58 pm

whoops ... i must have missed that ..

whats the exact idea ? excluding stuff for tunnels and such ? there are alot of tutorials around using easygen..

red-neckerson made one aswell ..

http://www.smokin-guns.net/viewtopic.ph ... c7cff9def5
WIP : Wildwest ET
WIP : Wildwest_Radar
WIP : Wildwest_Sanmiguel
WIP : Wildwest_Yuma
WIP : Wildwest Jailbreak
WIP : Wildwest_Muerte
WIP : Wildwest_Abby

El Poncho
Prospector
Prospector

Post by El Poncho » Tue May 04, 2010 4:45 pm

Yeah, the exact idea is excluding stuff to be able to make tunnels and underground things. For example, let's say I wanted to put a basement on one of my buildings, or to make a mine tunnel, etc...

Thanks for the link though, can never have enough easygen tutorials. :D

I would imagine the excluding stuff would take place in radiant, but I've always been told messing with terrain=bad news. So...I didn't want to implement my tunnel through a mountain until I knew what I was doing, would hate to mess up my map. :wink:
-Prior to moving to the Wild West, I was called Bonesetter and had a cool sig like this:

Ringo
Site Administrator

Post by Ringo » Thu May 06, 2010 7:59 am

El Poncho wrote:Yeah, the exact idea is excluding stuff to be able to make tunnels and underground things. For example, let's say I wanted to put a basement on one of my buildings, or to make a mine tunnel, etc...

Thanks for the link though, can never have enough easygen tutorials. :D

I would imagine the excluding stuff would take place in radiant, but I've always been told messing with terrain=bad news. So...I didn't want to implement my tunnel through a mountain until I knew what I was doing, would hate to mess up my map. :wink:
It has been a while though , i think u can add " pink " stuff to the terrain , which will be excluded .. ( i forgot ) but then u could import your map and state where u wanted to extract or build in tunnels etc ..

ill have a look :) and post it on the forum :)

shLep
Greenhorn

Post by shLep » Thu May 06, 2010 5:18 pm

Editing terrain = bad, cause it can go wrong quickly. However, its pretty easy to avoid this if you just take your time.

1) always make a backup of your map
2) follow the steps I outlined above

Note: You can use tab to select individual pieces of the terrain while its still grouped as an entire entity, however, if the terrain is large, the tab process is hardly ideal - especially if you plan on experimenting a bit in removing specific pieces.

3) once you've removed the pieces you want, again select all pieces of the terrain (filter out everything but terrain and press I).
4) turn the entire terrain back into a func_group and set the keys you previously noted
5) compile and test it out. If anything is wrong load up your backup map and try again.

It's fairly straight forward if you follow this. It's been awhile since i've done it, but I dont think im missing anything.

Lastly, you CAN import objects (buildings, tunnels, etc) into easygen - and as Ringo noted exclude specific pieces of the terrain from being exported.
If memory serves, simply make a copy of your map, tie your buildings/etc to a func_group entity and save. Then import the map file into your current easygen terrain project, etc. I typically never used this method tho.

Hope this helps.

Ringo
Site Administrator

Post by Ringo » Sat May 08, 2010 6:50 pm

there is a manual out there somewhere , ive used it in the past ..:)