Well hello there!

Entity Leaked

More or less everything you want to know about mapping for WildWest.

Moderators: Ringo, wwbiteme, zivs

El Poncho
Prospector
Prospector

Entity Leaked

Post by El Poncho » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:35 pm

So I went to compile my map after making some changes and get this Q3Map debug window error:
Entity 74, Brush 0: Entity Leaked

I search for entity 74, brush 0, and I get a misc_model entity which is /models/ww_hacienda/map_objects/lantern.ase

I deleted the models from my map and recompiled and no longer get this error, but I still am getting an uplayable huge drop in fps in my map. I'm thinking it has to do with a tunnel I created with brushes. When I review my log I see:

--- MergeMetaTriangles ---
0...WARNING: Flipped triangle: ( 1848 1984 152) ( 1728 1984 152) ( 1856 1984 152)
1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9... (17)

So I looked it up to find this:

Warning: Flipped Triangle (xxx) (xxx) (xxx)

Info:

IF you get a ton of these warnings during BSP.
AND you get a crash on VIS (probably MAX VISIBILITY EXCEEDED) OR LIGHT crashes with an error (can't remember what the typical one is)...
AND you have BRUSH (not model) terrain in your map...

Fix:

You need to caulk all sides of ALL brushes in your terrain except for the top surfaces. You probably have terrain on all sides of all brushes. Have fun updating those textures. My advice is to caulk it all, then select large groups of the top sides at once, apply the terrain texture, save, select another bunch, apply, save, rinse, repeat as necessary.

Not sure what to do at this point, I thought I'd been really careful about not selecting or changing any of my terrain that was created with easygen. I'm thinking that the tunnels are the culprit. Can't one just overlap brushes into irregular terrain? I'm at a loss and feel like I can't continue or I'll be wasting my time until I get this figured out... :roll:
-Prior to moving to the Wild West, I was called Bonesetter and had a cool sig like this:

El Poncho
Prospector
Prospector

Post by El Poncho » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:31 pm

Update:

Fixed my miserable drop in FPS. I think it was due to a train tunnel I had created out of brushes, not sure what happened. I deleted both tunnels and re-made them and now they seem to be fine.

I'm still getting that flipped triangle error, but I don't know if it's worth trying to find if it's only one little error and doesn't seem to be affecting anything at this point.

Any ideas why that lantern model would cause an entity leak? Thanks in advance, I know you have a lot more to do than read my million questions. :P
-Prior to moving to the Wild West, I was called Bonesetter and had a cool sig like this:

Ringo
Site Administrator

Post by Ringo » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:12 am

amigo,

if the map was made in gtk radiant 1.5 , ull probably end up with phantom brushes aswell,

some models leak because some wire is sticking in the chaulk and touching the outside , to test that , surround a cube around the model and retest :)
WIP : Wildwest ET
WIP : Wildwest_Radar
WIP : Wildwest_Sanmiguel
WIP : Wildwest_Yuma
WIP : Wildwest Jailbreak
WIP : Wildwest_Muerte
WIP : Wildwest_Abby