Well hello there!

Moving many brushes at once.

More or less everything you want to know about mapping for WildWest.

Moderators: Ringo, wwbiteme, zivs

El Poncho
Prospector
Prospector

Moving many brushes at once.

Post by El Poncho » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:50 pm

Is there an easy way to say....select a whole bunch of brushes (like an entire building and all it's details) and move it without accidentally messing up my terrain or missing a bunch of brushes?

My layout is quite how I imagined it so I'd like to shift a huge set of buildings over. Thanks Ringo! :P
-Prior to moving to the Wild West, I was called Bonesetter and had a cool sig like this:

Ringo
Site Administrator

Post by Ringo » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:22 am

erhm .. that depends on easy ..

i usually create a Cube surrounding the building / buildings .. then do a "select inside"

then move it over :D
WIP : Wildwest ET
WIP : Wildwest_Radar
WIP : Wildwest_Sanmiguel
WIP : Wildwest_Yuma
WIP : Wildwest Jailbreak
WIP : Wildwest_Muerte
WIP : Wildwest_Abby

El Poncho
Prospector
Prospector

Post by El Poncho » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:47 pm

That would have been a much easier way of doing it...

I spent 30min just selecting everything and moving it...only to find I missed a few brushes, so I'd "Undo" it, select those, and try moving it again...trial and error.

I like your method...if it happens again I guess I know how to do it more quickly now! Thanks!
-Prior to moving to the Wild West, I was called Bonesetter and had a cool sig like this:

Ringo
Site Administrator

Post by Ringo » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:54 am

El Poncho wrote:That would have been a much easier way of doing it...

I spent 30min just selecting everything and moving it...only to find I missed a few brushes, so I'd "Undo" it, select those, and try moving it again...trial and error.

I like your method...if it happens again I guess I know how to do it more quickly now! Thanks!
, if performance is good u can leave it structural or detail , if massive FPS drops occur with the buildings ( mine usually do because of high detail ) then use the ET model tool to convert it into a model ..

El Poncho
Prospector
Prospector

Post by El Poncho » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:05 pm

Sounds like a good tip. So far, frame rate has been good and steady. That will probably change when I start adding more details. Currently, I've been trying to be really careful about using structural for only non-complicated brushes and then slapping smaller detailed brushes around them.

For example, for any portion that's unaccessible to the player, I've made sure that they are as few brushes as possible, entirely made of caulk so textures aren't being drawn behind walls etc. So far so good.... 8)

I haven't really added the super details and things that are mostly eye candy yet, trying to get the layout of the buildings right so map is fun and playable. :D

Ringo
Site Administrator

Post by Ringo » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:29 pm

El Poncho wrote:Sounds like a good tip. So far, frame rate has been good and steady. That will probably change when I start adding more details. Currently, I've been trying to be really careful about using structural for only non-complicated brushes and then slapping smaller detailed brushes around them.

For example, for any portion that's unaccessible to the player, I've made sure that they are as few brushes as possible, entirely made of caulk so textures aren't being drawn behind walls etc. So far so good.... 8)

I haven't really added the super details and things that are mostly eye candy yet, trying to get the layout of the buildings right so map is fun and playable. :D
do keep in mind .. one sided texturing is not always faster , infact leaving texture default is most fast .. but looks hideous .. side note to this

NOT ALL textures of the WW are diveable by 2 , this error is suppressed by the wolf 1.4 engine , but not in an ET engine

Texture Sizes
TGA texture files are measured in pixels (picture elements). Textures are measured in powers of 2, with 16 x16 pixels being the smallest (typically) texture in use. Most will be larger. Textures need not be square, so long as both dimensions are powers of 2. Examples include: 32x256, 16x32, 128x16.