Well hello there!

winey euros

Need to get things off your chest? Then this is the place.

Moderators: Ringo, wwbiteme, zivs

El Dragon
Retired

winey euros

Post by El Dragon » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:52 pm

Not all but several. They cry when they are on the US server so all must move to the EU server. Now thats not too bad (many of us over here are used to playing with 100-300 pings) but then they don't even have the curtisey to last one match, never mind a full stop watch round.

So now there are like 6-7 high ping US'ers to satisfy the 2 remaining euro's

And you wonder why the old timers don't return....

I'll head back to ET. Maybe in a few months this crowd will mature enough for decent play.

Grateful Dead
Prospector
Prospector

Post by Grateful Dead » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:27 pm

hey there didn't know that was you!

i hope you come along and play again , I was the one to suggest going to the EU server and I do out of courtesy I myself am of the US .

It's never much whining then it is courtesy I would say??
I AM THAT I AM -exodus 3:14

Ringo
Site Administrator

Post by Ringo » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:29 pm

200 ping is sooo dialup ..

pardon my french but get better lines ?
WIP : Wildwest ET
WIP : Wildwest_Radar
WIP : Wildwest_Sanmiguel
WIP : Wildwest_Yuma
WIP : Wildwest Jailbreak
WIP : Wildwest_Muerte
WIP : Wildwest_Abby

El Dragon
Retired

Post by El Dragon » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:04 pm

it's usually due to the lines running under that little pond called the atlantic.

Ringo
Site Administrator

Post by Ringo » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:06 pm

El Dragon wrote:it's usually due to the lines running under that little pond called the atlantic.
:D

u dont say ! :)

but to make my point :)

Lots of broadband users regularly checks their broadband speed on internet sites. Among these broadband speed checking sites speedtest.net is mostly used,and based on its data the top countries with internet access based on the highest download speed are two asian countries i.e. South Korea and Japan. Before, Japan held the first position but it seems now Korea take over the place. These two countries do have only small difference. Even compared to the United States (U.S.) that have the most use on internet, Korea’s speed broadband is three times higher.

Here are top ten countries with the highest speed internet in the world:
1. South Korea 17187 kb/s
2. Japan 16,365 kb/s
3. Lithuania 11,295 kb/s
4. Sweden 11,280 kb/s
5. Romania 10,236 kb/s
6. Latvian 9,782 kb/s
7. Bulgaria 9,074 kb/s
8. Netherlands 8,734 kb/s
9. Germany 7,447 kb/s
10.Russian Federation 7,260 kb/s

El Stupido
Sheriff
Sheriff

Post by El Stupido » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:20 pm

Ringo wrote:Here are top ten countries with the highest speed internet in the world:
1. South Korea 17187 kb/s
2. Japan 16,365 kb/s
3. Lithuania 11,295 kb/s
4. Sweden 11,280 kb/s
5. Romania 10,236 kb/s
6. Latvian 9,782 kb/s
7. Bulgaria 9,074 kb/s
8. Netherlands 8,734 kb/s
9. Germany 7,447 kb/s
10.Russian Federation 7,260 kb/s
Oh so that's why Zivs owns me!!! Speed hacker! :D
I am going to move my family to South Korea and you'll all be in big trouble!

Huche_de_Vent
Sheriff
Sheriff

Post by Huche_de_Vent » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:21 pm

@Stupido: I'm afraid of higher speed net because it would likely disprove my claim that I play poorly due to the conneciton. :lol:

@ Ringo: By "get better lines" do you mean the country or us personally? As far as the latter, it is quite impossible for many of us (simply no better option, no matter how much money). And for the US in general, yes those countries listed are way ahead of us, but keep in mind many of our individual States are bigger than they are (hence their population density is MUCH higher). We have a real logistic challenge to get the infrastructure everywhere. It just won't happen. For instance, from home if I drive 16Km, I'll reach a town of 2000 poplulation. If I drive 120km, I'll find a city of 12,000 peeps; in 240Km a city of 20,000; and finally in 520km a city of a little over 1million. To lay that much fiber cable to all these little communities scattered around for proportionally just a handful of users.... it simply doesn't add up.

So, 200 ping is not dialup, that's good for me on the EU. 230 is more typical (dialup is upwards of 500 and 600), so it's a real treat when I get to play on HeH with pings right around 100. So I do understand where Dragon is coming from with his rant. For the most part, it seems only the US players will put up with high pings to play on the servers. Our Euro Amigos are having too much fun with their high speed access! :twisted: :P :D [said tongue in cheek]
/PF/Huche
aka gravedigger

"I can tell at sight a Mauser rifle from a javelin."

zivs
Super Moderator

Post by zivs » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:13 pm

I think we had a discussion something like this and I've already stated that for me it's no difference where to play - as long as on any of the two main servers are players - I'm joining that one!

When it comes to Internet speed - I'm not sure if kbps up/down measurements affect in any way ping (talking about more modern lines, not Dial Up) - even if we have good connections over here, I still have ~150-250 ping to servers over the pond. It's just the huge distance which data have to travel .. or something like that.

Besides, you don't have to switch to EU server just because of one or two whining EU players - just keep playing in that one server and sooner or later he will get over the "oh so high" ping issue and join back. :)

Just for a change we could have a Sunday game on HeH server tonight or next week? :roll:

El Stupido
Sheriff
Sheriff

Post by El Stupido » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:19 pm

zivs wrote:I think we had a discussion something like this and I've already stated that for me it's no difference where to play - as long as on any of the two main servers are players - I'm joining that one!
I'm with Zivs. Back when there were lots of players, you could pick and choose which server to play on. Over time, more and more players "retired" and if wasn't for the Sunday VIP game on the Euro server, the few die-hard US players left would still be sitting in spec on HeH waiting for someone to show up.. (I know I did this many lonely nights) I don't think we should mess with the VIP game on Sundays. Instead, I hope our attempt at starting a similar weeknight game on HeH will work out. I have seen a pretty good crowd there some Tuesdays and Wednesdays so lets keep it going!

Huche_de_Vent
Sheriff
Sheriff

Post by Huche_de_Vent » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:02 pm

That's right, Zivs! Go where the fun is (i.e., where the players are). I agree with Stupido, don't mess with VIP. In fact it could end really cool if we have two(ish) sudo official games per week, in essence one hosted by our Euro friends and the other hosted by the Yanks. No one has to join any game. That's why I don't see much point in joining a server, then complaining about it.
zivs wrote:...When it comes to Internet speed - I'm not sure if kbps up/down measurements affect in any way ping (talking about more modern lines, not Dial Up)...
In theory, true. In practice however, there are subtleties. For instance, in static transfer my ping to EU can register as low as 208 on the scanner. ("Cool!" I think to myself) Once I start playing though, it will always drop to at least 220 or 230 (or 250). This is quality of lines and pipeline available in the region, I believe. But yes, the biggest and most insurmountable issue is quite simply the length of the RJ45 cable from pond bank to pond bank.
/PF/Huche
aka gravedigger

"I can tell at sight a Mauser rifle from a javelin."

Ringo
Site Administrator

Post by Ringo » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:43 pm

@all , im not stating that the lines are crappy

however .. if people playing on the HEH server with 160 ping .. and they originate from that country
that does suprise me ..

- i do recall a certain post where i explained the latency .. ( peer rings )

i do conclude with dragon though .. people leave early .. might be because the server is tuned differently .. bite could have a look :)

zivs
Super Moderator

Post by zivs » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:58 pm

Ringo wrote:i do conclude with dragon though .. people leave early .. might be because the server is tuned differently .. bite could have a look :)
I think that both servers must be different (maps, limitations, for the testing maybe even CTF mode?). If they both would be exactly the same or with just minor differences - those whining EU's will definitely choose server with lower latency, thus making US players to join EU server just for them.

My point is/was (while I'm sober) - two unique servers is cool and great, two identical servers is just splitting up community in some sort of way (by whining for pings, by basically ignoring the US server and so on and on) ... Or am I wrong again? o_O

P.S.
Actually I've never played CTF mode on WW, if not only one extremely fun map on US server (Boulder Dash was it?) ... :x

Ringo
Site Administrator

Post by Ringo » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:57 pm

no offence at the CTF mode .. but it is boredom ..

WW could need more game modes tbh :)

zivs
Super Moderator

Post by zivs » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:34 pm

Ringo wrote:WW could need more game modes tbh :)
Or more quality maps? *Looking on Yuma* :roll:

El Dragon
Retired

Post by El Dragon » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:47 pm

Actally I've noticed a few times small crowds on both servers (i.e. hangem gets a few players but instead of joining hangem, the euro server will also get populated. This status usually resolves by hangem emptying to the eu server. I'll try to take some screenshots of the servers next time I notice.