Well hello there!

White House defends McCain

Feel free to post any news that is fit to print!!

Moderators: Ringo, wwbiteme, zivs

cedondero
Greenhorn

Post by cedondero » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:40 pm

These liberal rags drive me nuts!! :evil:

1 hour, 4 minutes ago

The White House sided with Sen. John McCain and accused The New York Times on Friday of repeatedly trying to "drop a bombshell" on Republican presidential nominees to undermine their candidacies.

The newspaper has drawn fire from McCain himself and even some of his conservative critics for publishing a report Thursday suggesting that McCain, the presumed Republican presidential nominee, had an improper relationship with a female lobbyist. McCain said the report was not true.

White House deputy press secretary Scott Stanzel, at a briefing, noted that the story has received a lot of attention.

"I think a lot of people here in this building, with experience in a couple campaigns, have grown accustomed to the fact that during the course of the campaign, seemingly on maybe a monthly basis leading up to the convention and maybe a weekly basis after that, the New York Times does try to drop a bombshell on the Republican nominee.

"And that is something that the Republican nominee has faced in the past and probably will face in this campaign," he said. "And sometimes they make incredible leaps to try to drop those bombshells on the Republican nominee."

As for the allegations about McCain, Stanzel said, "I'm not going to speak to the specifics in that story but it's been our impression that they do drop those bombshells."

In a statement Thursday, Times Executive Editor Bill Keller said, "We think the story speaks for itself."