Well hello there!

Good news for WildWest :D

To keep the mod alive I have created this forum for info on the game.

Moderators: Ringo, wwbiteme, zivs

Hewster
Site Administrator

Good news for WildWest :D

Post by Hewster » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:10 pm

Howdi all...

Thought I'd make an official post on what I'd like to see happen over the next few months...

As some of you might be aware, October 22nd this year is quite a special day, because on that day WildWest will be 10 years old !! (work started April 2002, and 1st public release was on 22nd October)

I never thought it would be still being played 10 years later, but it is !!

Major thanks need to be given to a number of people in the community for facilitating this continued support:

1) Bite_me
2) Ringo
3) zvis

And many others I'm sure... So from me, a BIG thankyou for all your dedication throughout the years :)

OK, onto the fun stuffs...

Since Id released the full source code for RtCW (includes the Engine source !) on a GPL licence (this means we can make a fully FREE and legal version of WildWest) I've been pondering weather to release WildWest on this licence... I had an epiphany about a month ago, and realised that our 10th year anniversary would be an ideal time to do just that :)

So, what needs doing to get this game a bit more up to date, with enough new stuff to make it popular ?? Well, I'm thinking to re-compile popular maps with much higher lightmapping, and new textures where needed to get the game visually more appealing and ..

1. Re-make models and texture of weapons
2. Update the menus a bit.
3. Fix any known “bad” bugs in code and maps
4. New weapon sounds (got some, but need work to fit into game)
5. All new voice chats would be cool too :)

Any other suggestions are welcome, but please understand we will be working to a strict time-line, so, even if your idea might be brilliant, it may not make the cut for this release... however, once released, there will be nothing stopping anyone modding the game (think.. WW will be like RtCW, where anyone can mod it, as all the source will be available :) )

It will be released using the RtCW GPL, meaning it will be a free game for anyone to download and play, part of the licence is that all code must be distributed with the game (open source).

So basically WildWest will be its own game, no trace of Wolf at all, however, I need to make sure there no assets remain from RtCW (textures, meshes, audio etc)
I know we (me and BoltyBoy) made a concerted effort to replace everything when we first created the mod, but there are a few lingering assets I can think of..

1. player model meshes
2. some sounds (screaming when on fire, explosions)
3. some particle effects (explosion, fire etc)

I'm back in Cyprus next week, and will be starting on stuffs then.

If you think … yes YOU, think you can help in any way, or have any ideas or suggestions, please post them in this thread. I promise to look at all ideas, and welcome all input :)

So, it really is quite exciting, as far as I know we will be the first full game to be released with the RtCW GPL code, and so I reckon we should get quite a bit of publicity, and thus many new players :D

See you on the plains...

Peace,

Hewster

ReD NeCKersoN
Greenhorn

Re: Good news for WildWest :D

Post by ReD NeCKersoN » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:51 pm

It's really great to hear that you guys are doing this. Best wishes & best of luck!! 8)

Hijo de Puta
Prospector
Prospector

Post by Hijo de Puta » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:57 pm

Good to see all these idea's and I hope it can all be released on the jubilee date . I really appreciate this . On the other side , I am contented with the game (read: graphics) as it is at the moment .Because what counts for me is mainly the gameplay.
But I'm old ( ja ja Zivs , I know , I'm the oldest and baldest) and play the game from almost the beginning , so I don't know better .
I wish you and the other guys ( what's theire name again ?? Zivs something?? Ringo something ??) all the best with the remake of my favorite game all times .

wwbiteme
Site Administrator

Post by wwbiteme » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:15 pm

Well I will help where I can. I know nothing of programming but can lend my USA server if needed and can help in testing.

This is truly GREAT NEWS!!!

As for supporting this game over the years it has been my pleasure. Not cheap but defiantly well worth it!! :lol:

Also a big thank you needs to go out to Alan Smith (AzH) due to he has been great at letting me host the HeH forums on his account for free for many years. I started up this forum right after the Queeg WW forums was taken down. I want to thank all the members here for thier support and postings over the years! The game lives because of all your efforts, support and love of the game!

Lastly we all need to give a enormous thank you to Hewster and BoltyBoy. Like I said somewhere on this forum none of us would be here if it was not for their vision in creating this great game....so THANK YOU HEWSTER AND BOLTYBOY!!!!

theUgly
Greenhorn

Post by theUgly » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:36 pm

Pretty good news in my opinion. Hope we can help the game to become more popular and get, btw more players. I support you guys where i can. Best wishes and good luck to you ! :mrgreen:

zivs
Super Moderator

Post by zivs » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:19 pm

It's zivs not zvis! :twisted: Also I don't feel like deserving to be especially mentioned as a supporter - all I have done is created a small duel map (which naturally sucks) and all the time owning the rest of the community on servers. :mrgreen:

El Dragon
Retired

Post by El Dragon » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:29 pm

Hey Hew.

If you want I'd be happy to help organize a gang of code breakers to find any/all minor bugs as last time. Having played many other games/maps since working with you, I've come to really apreciate our old beta gang's work. Nothing more fustrating than a map that has not been properly thrashed with players finding bad exploits, glitches, or bad mapping logic. Or a game that's only good for a few weeks due to poor testing.

We really had a great crew and I'd love to help put out the 10th aniversary up to our old 1.4-1.6 standards.

I wonder if we can track down some of the old coders that were with us as well. I've missed gringo star's insites and map work.

shLep
Greenhorn

Post by shLep » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:27 pm

Fantastic news!
Sign me me up for any mapping/bug testing y'all need.

In terms of graphics/engine updating, what version of q3map2 was the original mod compiled under?  Either way there has to be room for improvement there, in terms of advanced switches, shaders, etc.

Considering how low the requirements are to run Wolf these days, compared to the avg. system, id said the maps could also be pushed a bit more, in terms of pushing the entity count, portals/VIS optimizations, etc.

Anyways, hit me up if you need anything.

Ringo
Site Administrator

Post by Ringo » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:35 pm

if im not mistaken shlep , the GTK radiant is also GPL :)
WIP : Wildwest ET
WIP : Wildwest_Radar
WIP : Wildwest_Sanmiguel
WIP : Wildwest_Yuma
WIP : Wildwest Jailbreak
WIP : Wildwest_Muerte
WIP : Wildwest_Abby

El_Pedo_Ciego
Prospector
Prospector

Post by El_Pedo_Ciego » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:05 pm

Great news! I'm really looking forward to seeing the progress!

One quick thing about system specs. I realize that many people have higher-end gaming machines, but please keep in mind that one of WW strongpoints is that it can run on older systems. I get cast-off computers and get them running for people and I have a small network 6-10 machines that I maintain just for gaming and almost specifically for WW. I realize that upping the "eye-candy" will appeal to new blood, but the gameplay is really what makes this game so great. Just my dos pesos.

Now that this will be a truly stand-alone game. My idea about burning a couple dozen copies and leaving them around at game stores or computer/electronics stores will be a great way to promote the game! (Think AOL :lol: )
/PF/ El_Pedo_Ciego - a.k.a LonePedo -

"I maintain a steady diet of rare steaks, beef jerky and live ammunition..."

Ringo
Site Administrator

Post by Ringo » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:30 pm

@pedo , to take away your fear .. it still will be the Wolfmp engine .. no doom like graphics ..( id tech4 engine) to clarify hewster's words .. just new sharper textures some of them are just old ( canyon,mine ) and some lighting issues are getting fixed ... u could compare it to ET and the last time i checked it still runs smoothly on my apple pp 450mhz :)

maybe someone can make a window poster , spam facebook accounts ( ahem ) create stickers QR codes for mcdonalds drive-thru

btw what happend to the shop?
WIP : Wildwest ET
WIP : Wildwest_Radar
WIP : Wildwest_Sanmiguel
WIP : Wildwest_Yuma
WIP : Wildwest Jailbreak
WIP : Wildwest_Muerte
WIP : Wildwest_Abby

wwbiteme
Site Administrator

Post by wwbiteme » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:25 pm

The shop I think was run by Iggy.

But we could always start one back up.... :mrgreen:

Hewster
Site Administrator

Post by Hewster » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:45 pm

Re: performance..

The engine does a lot of gfx processing on the GPU, and since the engine is not threaded, it doesn't make use of today's multi-cores... so in this respect I don't intend, or advise increasing Tris count in maps, however, textures are loaded into GFX card memory, and that is something that has increased significantly over the years.

And texture reduction is easily done in game (game settings), infact when we last updated Town map (went from 256x256 to 512x512 textures) I added a new setting of "ultra" in the texture settings menu.

So I intend for WW to continue to run on older machine :)

Re:shop... yup Iggy ran that, and last I checked it was still "open" :)

back to Cyprus tomorrow :D

Laters,

Hewster.

El_Pedo_Ciego
Prospector
Prospector

Post by El_Pedo_Ciego » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:12 pm

Fantastic! Now I really can't wait!
/PF/ El_Pedo_Ciego - a.k.a LonePedo -

"I maintain a steady diet of rare steaks, beef jerky and live ammunition..."

English Rose
Greenhorn

Post by English Rose » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:13 pm

Oh I have an idea..... a female model would be good.... Do you think I liked running around in a mans body wearing pants that make my butt look big???... boobs and skirt.... just a little suggestion there for ya... :wink:

Had a few problems with laptop but think it's sorted so I can start and join in a few games.. gonna try and get on a server later and have a run round the maps and try and remember what I'm supposed to do besides not die..... :roll:
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it's limits"

- Albert Einstein -