Well hello there!

Smoking Gun Website

Moderators: Ringo, wwbiteme, zivs

wwbiteme
Site Administrator

Smoking Gun Website

Post by wwbiteme » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:38 pm

This is a great Modification based on the Q3 engine. The Mod is a free standalone but the standalone release is not completed yet. There is a workaround to load the mod. You can find the information on this MOD here:
http://www.smokin-guns.net/main/

The instructions on how to get the files and load this great game is found here:
http://www.smokin-guns.net/main/viewtop ... =8908#8908

I suggest everyone give it a try. A lot of fun. Very different game play then WW so you will need to get used to it. Also you will be able to play on some familiar maps due to some of our WW maps are imported from WQ3.

Let me know if anyone has tried it yet and post your comments.
Last edited by wwbiteme on Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

cedondero
Greenhorn

Post by cedondero » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:07 pm

Haven't tried this one yet. I will download the files and give it a try.

cedondero
Greenhorn

Post by cedondero » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:42 pm

Dave - Do you know where I can get he files? The link you have is not working.

wwbiteme
Site Administrator

Post by wwbiteme » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:44 pm

Hey there. They are having a problem on their page. Be patient and check back often. I know they are working on it.

If you need any assistance on setting up the standalone let me know.

ReD NeCKersoN
Greenhorn

Post by ReD NeCKersoN » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:29 am

wwbiteme wrote:Hey there. They are having a problem on their page.
If you need any assistance on setting up the standalone let me know.
There isn't a publicly released standalone for wq3 yet. If you don't have Q3 Arena, you can use the free IoQ3 Engine to play. Unfortunately, you'll also need to download the Q3 Demo just to get at the pak0.pk3 since IoQ3 doesn't come with that file.
Then install WQ3 version 2.2 (Click "Download now" & scroll down if you don't want to register with Fileshack.)
A pain to do all of that, I know. And with our website out of action right now, the tutorial I have there for this procedure isn't available at the moment. (I'll post here again when the site is back OR edit this post if possible.)

The short version of how to do this is:
1) Install IoQ3
2) Install the Q3 Demo to it's default location
3) Cut (or copy) the pak0.pk3 from the demo & paste it into the baseq3 folder of your IoQ3 installation.
Then you can uninstall the Q3 demo... unless you want to keep it for some reason.
4) Lastly, you should end up with a westernq3 folder inside the ioquake3 folder if you unzip wq3 properly.

Might seem like a headache but it won't cost you anything except a bit of bandwidth. And, you'll have a fully functional game that's capable of connecting to online servers.
Currently available game servers can be viewed at www.bootblock.de/wq3
If you're in the USA I reccomend the RAWHIDE or Gamers4Jesus servers. WASTELAND is the most popular European server.

Of course, when our official standalone is released there will be a single, simple download. Sorry for the inconvienence!

Old_Buzzard
Greenhorn

Post by Old_Buzzard » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:31 pm

Hmmmmmmmm maybe someone (not me, the train left without me) will come up with a western mod for ETQW, might be a while before they are willing to give out the source code, but it would be kind of neat.

ReD NeCKersoN
Greenhorn

Post by ReD NeCKersoN » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:00 am

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:And with our website out of action right now, the tutorial I have there for this procedure isn't available at the moment. (I'll post here again when the site is back OR edit this post if possible.)
The site is back up, but we lost the tutorials for IoQ3 & OpenArena. I'll have to remake them when I get time. :x

ReD NeCKersoN
Greenhorn

Post by ReD NeCKersoN » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:47 am

IoQ3 workaround is up now. Openarena to follow. Hey wwbiteme you may want to edit the first post to include this link.
http://www.smokin-guns.net/main/viewtop ... =8908#8908

wwbiteme
Site Administrator

Post by wwbiteme » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:02 am

ok threads are updated. Thanks for the info Red.

Everyone should definitely try this MOD. Very nice game play!!

El Jedrulla
Prospector
Prospector

Post by El Jedrulla » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:39 pm

we played in smokin guns sometime with Dudi (even it seems to me that one day I saw Hijo on the server :) )
but somehow, in contrast to the Wild West this game it is not addictive me.

wwbiteme
Site Administrator

Post by wwbiteme » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:04 pm

It plays a lot differently. WW has a better flow but WQ3 has some good features such as buying guns and ammo that I like. You can't really compare fairly the 2 games other then to see some shared maps and stuff.

Ringo
Site Administrator

Post by Ringo » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:22 pm

wwbiteme wrote:It plays a lot differently. WW has a better flow but WQ3 has some good features such as buying guns and ammo that I like. You can't really compare fairly the 2 games other then to see some shared maps and stuff.
hmmz has the site been fixed yet ?
its awfully slow ... and forum registrations are disabled ..

i was googling around and thought of the smoking guns one ..
and maybe ReD can ask Gunte in compiling a Smoking Guns & wildwest scanner in 1 :)
WIP : Wildwest ET
WIP : Wildwest_Radar
WIP : Wildwest_Sanmiguel
WIP : Wildwest_Yuma
WIP : Wildwest Jailbreak
WIP : Wildwest_Muerte
WIP : Wildwest_Abby

zivs
Super Moderator

Post by zivs » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:04 pm

Meh. Yesterday downloaded this game and wanted to give it a second try (since I'm going to do video review of that game also) , but big was my surprise that there still is this "shoot and pray" feeling, like none of weapons actually hit where you aim and if they do - it happens randomly ... Or maybe I just don't know (yet) how exactly I have to aim in head to hit the head :) In several maps I could be almost first with the highest score but then on the next map I can't hit anyone and then on next map I play averagely ...

But as Biteme said, game have a lot of nice features like weapon, armor, ammo buying options and pretty neat designed weapons and reloading, sounds and maps, which are step ahead of WW ones at some point. 8)

And must agree with Jedrulla, that the game (for me!) is also not really addictive - I'm way to much used to WW gameplay, sounds, movement and weapons for which I can sacrifice the lack of features from SG .. And no - I'm not saying SG is bad game - it's just way too different in both gameplay and aiming wise to get adapted to it immediately :roll:

Also it's cool to see that there are so many servers of which some are even full all the time with players (not bots)! I wish I could see someday WW servers so full as SG's :oops:

wwbiteme
Site Administrator

Re: Smoking Gun Website

Post by wwbiteme » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:30 pm

Hey all

I haven't been on Smoking Guns in ages and noticed their website and forum link has changed. It is now located at:

http://www.smokin-guns.org/

Gave it a run and had a good time there. It plays a lot differently then WW but is fun just the same.