Well hello there!

HeH welcomes it's newest member on board - El Dora!

Tell us about yourself

Moderators: Ringo, wwbiteme, zivs

El Stupido
Sheriff
Sheriff

Post by El Stupido » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:40 am

My friend at work speaks Polish, so I told him that next week was Polish week on the forum, and he translated some English to Polish for me! I told him to say "Hello, My name is El Stupido. I am the fasted gun in the west. If you see me in the Wild West, you'd better find cover!"

Here is the Polish translation:
Witaj! My name is El Stupido. Jestem gruba kobieta bez zębów. Jeżeli nie wygram na Dzikim Zachodzie, płakać jak małe dziecko! Proszę, zabij mnie, gdy mnie widzisz.

El Dragon
Retired

Post by El Dragon » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:09 am

lol love online translators
It greet! We el name is Stupido. I am without teeth (cogs) thick woman. If I will not win on wild west, weep as small child! Please, <ask>, it kill me, when you see me.
Source: http://www.poltran.com/pl.php4 :lol:

[edit] we've an online role play (space version of nationstates) at devious tyrant RP and my race (a collective of insects) have mechanical translators to go from bug speak (pheromones) to other races vocal speak.

I basically take what is said, translate it into Russian, then translate it back into English and that is what is heard or sent to the non bug races. You'd be suprized at how screwed up that 2 step translation can be.

First contact was even worse as I ran communications through 5 languages for the initial messages.

Sample of how things go:
What the bugs say:
This is the fast transport The Wisdom Explorer on a diplomatic mission of the Nth'ch to the Arzhamas. The Association of Nth'ch wish to discuss passage permissions through Arzhamas system to support the JETF mission in Slarr space. Do we have permission to approach?
What is actually transmitted:
These are rapid passage the researcher of wisdom on the diplomatic mission Of nth' ch to Arzhamas. Association Of nth'ch desire in order to discuss the permissions of the passage through the system Of arzhamas to support flight JETF into space Of slarr. We do have a permission to moor?
...and that was one of the more clearer translations.

zippy
Cowpoke
Cowpoke

Post by zippy » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:00 pm

Welcome Dora! great to have you playing in our little community :)

i've already played on your team and was killed many times with your duel pistols when i was against you... you've caught on very fast :)

El Dora
Greenhorn

Post by El Dora » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:28 pm

why thank you, i feel very welcome most of the time, though my aim seriously deteriorated imo, I'm just not used to this slow shooting, the dual colts solve that problem slightly.
I usually just pick the useful class for teams but lately i miss the colts when going medic so I'm staying with captain most of the time -
I also seem to be one of the only people playing a useful teamclass (can you imagine a 5 man team with one Captain and 4 snipers as the offensive team - and then the idiots wonder why their team is not winning, it seems to be more the norm than an exception in your little community)
I'm assuming this is because of those silly stats, how are those defined anyway? is it killratio? Fortunately my female nature lacks the "who has the biggest one" so I couldnt care less about that, the stat is most certainly not a MVPstat.
funnily enough I gave sniping a go a few days ago, I must say the reload (with grunting background noise) is rather suggestive (and hilarious too actually) so from now on snipers will be known as EGOSTROKERS to me (nice combination of gunstrokers and ego-player and it goes well with the reload as well )

Should be back this saturday (working in Tonsberg, norway till Friday, then back by train to Oslo in the evening and an early flight back saturday 5.40 AM)
I will be sleepy and disgruntled by the time i get home and look forward to having you on my team or just shoot you a bit

and right
just for the communities safety. I do not mind playing with noobs, everyone needs to learn, but my tolerancelevel for idiots is decreasing the older I get
maybe i should get my functionkeys in game working so I can start have tkers kicked etc :)
Artificial intelligence is NOT a patch for natural stupidity.

zivs
Super Moderator

Post by zivs » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:47 pm

Couldn't resist the IRL smile about that egostroking :) but I must confess that I'm sometimes also one of those assholes who rather snipe around than jump into a quick death by sharpshooting opponent medics and sheriffs. At least I try to be somewhat useful (not as useful as Chris and few more else snipers, of course) with that funny reloading gun! :D

But what comes to newbies - lately they seem to be more "stupid" in a way (starting from team shooters, which for new ones is usual and acceptable, to those who amuse themselves shooting the skies or rocks and just watching (and doing nothing - not even moving) teammates running into the battle). That all can be acceptable for a while (while learning basics and get familiar with maps), but what is NOT acceptable is the newcomer behavior to other newcomers or even veterans, calling them noobs and idiots and what not else after every mistake they make or just for the way they play.

Anyway! I've been so far very happy to have you on our team, since you do know what is teamwork and that sometimes the poor egostrokers need ammunition also! :)

And yes, we still haven't seen you in "Show yourself" topic! :D 8)

El Dora
Greenhorn

Post by El Dora » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:11 pm

pictures are currently on one of my servers
my servers are in some boxes in the garage until our renovations are done, the camera is in one of those boxes too so cant make any new ones.
I will create a post soon though, i'm hoping to get all that crap done during the jolly season :)

to stifle your curiousity here is a picture on my husband's blog (some of my colleagues at a customer after hours- I'm the only female in the picture so you can't miss)

EL Dragon, as soon as I'm no longer technically challenged, I'll promise another hairlength picture - I had to cut of 30 cms a few years ago (candles and long hair - not a good combination), it's still well beyond shoulder level but I can no longer sit on it ;)

and btw Zivs, you are actually a good sniper, you dont sit at the same spot 15mins hoping someone will run into your scope.
And of course you need amo, selfkills to get more bullets would ruin those stats right? :)

El Stupido
Sheriff
Sheriff

Post by El Stupido » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:37 pm

El Dora wrote:to stifle your curiousity here is a picture on my husband's blog (some of my colleagues at a customer after hours- I'm the only female in the picture so you can't miss)
Very nice picture El Dora! I'm guessing from the color of the beer you are holdiing that it's Heineken? Also, personally, I think your tie is too wide. :D

El Dora
Greenhorn

Post by El Dora » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:09 pm

ok, before things get offensive here
HEINEKEN????
I make sure i never have to drink it and neither will i have my friends or colleagues suffer something as dreadful.
I do live in Belgium, I know decent beers, Heineken is not and never will be one :) Our housebeer is actually Blonde Leffe (when I go shopping) and Duvel (when the husband goes shopping)

the beer my colleague is holding is actually not beer but Strongbow Cider ;) I can see how you get those 2 confused, Cider doesnt give decent foam either.
And what is wrong with a double-windsor knot ?? :)

to finish off this post: Do you know the difference between Heineken and sex in a canoo?

gunte

Post by gunte » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:44 pm

El Dora wrote:to finish off this post: Do you know the difference between Heineken and sex in a canoo?
:shock: hehe i would like to know? :wink:

El Dora
Greenhorn

Post by El Dora » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:45 pm

there is none
they are both fucking close to water :)

zivs
Super Moderator

Post by zivs » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:15 am

Hmm ... I have had few Blonde Leffe beer, but what is kind of strange - it was in Latvia (Old Riga, of course) and in Irish pub ... :X And yeah, it's so true about Heineken beer! :D

Speaking of selfkills - I'm usually timing it for bad respawns, meaning - pushing kp_enter (which is selfkill on my cfg) at time when are ~2-3 seconds to next respawn wave ... and then I wait in limbo for about 20-30 seconds for the next one and i get sad :)

gunte

Post by gunte » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:45 am

:lol:

El Dora
Greenhorn

Post by El Dora » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:42 pm

oh yeah
i'm still playing on the default config - the person that came up with putting the selfkill in the standard config is a pretty funny person

Imagine the situation
you are waiting in limbo and typing something in that silly chat window
the window changes cause you are ready to spawn
At that point you just pressed backspace to remove a typo
a nice message then tells you the execution of that command will take 5 seconds
you go : what command???
and then get the message
El Dora killed himself

not only does using backspace kill you in this game, in some cases it also seems to execute a sexchange :)

on a more serious note, I will be changing my config over the jolly season if i get round to it, good to know there are some people out here that can give me a hand with that (especially those changes that would be considered cheating, I really do not want those in my config but might create some accidentally)

gunte

Post by gunte » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:08 pm

if you want to chat in limbo you press the ½ button right? Then you are able to use backspace without any selfkill.

El Dora
Greenhorn

Post by El Dora » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:15 pm

no dear , underneath the chatwindow is an input line :)
at least on my version
and you cannot see because your's is broken anyway ;)

maybe we are not talking about the same limbo (i'm assuming we both are not talking about the place supposedly existing between heaven and hell - at least according to the late pope, the new one doesnt seem to be a fan)
I call the limbo menu the place where you can change class
on the top left it has a view of the chats (with the previously mentioned input line)
on the right the window to change class