Well hello there!

Putting WW on gaming platforms?

Have a problem with the game or just a general support question? Ask your Tech questions here.

Moderators: Ringo, wwbiteme, zivs

zivs
Super Moderator

Putting WW on gaming platforms?

Post by zivs » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:14 am

So, it's been a while since we talk about this again and I think it is perfect time to do that ... again. What are your opinions on getting our game on Steam (or, probably GOG - Good Old Games or similar)?

WildWest could benefit from that with some extra attention from bypassers, ease of access to game itself and, highly unlikely, but still - some helping hands fixing some of existing issues or maybe even some new mapping talents from depths of Quake-era scene.

These days putting something on Steam, for example, is easier than ever - you just pay something like 100 US dollars, Steam Q&A checks if it's not total garbage/scam and you get published. I don't know how works other platforms, but they should be similar in some ways.

Only things what bothers me are: How will react to this Hewster and the rest of original authors of the game? Does any of them holds control packet over what can and what cannot do with this IP?

What about server support? Is there a way to fix it (I think Ringo had a workaround for this issue)? There are probably issues more than that to fix before even looking at publishing this oldie anywhere, but at least we should have a discussion going on for this. Also would be great if Hewster and/or Dragon and/or whoever is still around from big boys drop some lines of opinions here. :)

El Stupido
Sheriff
Sheriff

Re: Putting WW on gaming platforms?

Post by El Stupido » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:32 pm

I think it's a great idea! I have the same concerns about how Hewster would feel, but it seems pretty obvious that he has moved on? My other concern is if any of our stand-alone installs are worthy of release? I had always heard that the author put some "questionable" code in there?

Hijo de Puta
Prospector
Prospector

Re: Putting WW on gaming platforms?

Post by Hijo de Puta » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:09 pm

I wonder why you put so much energy in this project.
I don't know if people wanna play a game wich is not perfect and with old graphics .
We , the old gang, are grown up with the game and we still love it.
But there are so many ( better?) other multiplayer games.