Well hello there!

probs running WW w/ more than 1 user

Have a problem with the game or just a general support question? Ask your Tech questions here.

Moderators: Ringo, wwbiteme, zivs

zippy
Cowpoke
Cowpoke

probs running WW w/ more than 1 user

Post by zippy » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:42 pm

i have a lynksys wrt54g running my home network. its running on dhcp and i can run three pc's simultaneously on the internet just fine. My problem is; whenever i am on Wild West and my kid wants to join in on one of the other pc's it dc's my connection and allows them on.

In other words, unless i physically reboot the router and we both start the WW app at nearly the same time, the router won't allow two users at once on WW. How can I change this and still keep it a DHCP network :?:

The router doesn't do this on any other online game that we have tried.

Huche_de_Vent
Sheriff
Sheriff

Post by Huche_de_Vent » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:50 pm

This sounds almost exactly like what my buddy El Pedo Ciego experienced at his office trying to connect our clan up to the servers. 2 pc's could connect fine, but add a 3rd and it would drop one. What solved it was a farily involved list of network settings on each machine. Unfortunately I don't recall exactly, nor do I have them in front of me at the moment (wrong computer anyhow); but I will look them up when next I can. If Ciego is around, I'm sure he'll chip in with what he figured out.
/PF/Huche
aka gravedigger

"I can tell at sight a Mauser rifle from a javelin."

gunte

Post by gunte » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:52 pm

hi it should work fine.

But could you try make sure it doesn't work again and then try on each pc opening a command prompt (press start and run - then type cmd).

In the command prompt try type this command: ipconfig

Could you post what result it gives on each of the 3 pc's. Just post 3 lines from the output: ipv4-adress, subnetmask and standardgateway. On my pc the output look like this:

Ethernet-networkcard LAN-forbindelse:

IPv4-adresse . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.4
Undernetmaske. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Standardgateway. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.1

To copy from command prompt normally it is just rightclick in the box - choose "mark" and select the text you want to copy and then press enter. Now you can insert it here.

If dhcp is working then the IPv4-adresse much be different on all 3 pc's. And i will say if you have 3 different ip's on your pc's then it should work for sure to play ww.

If you have equal ip's then try again opening a command prompt and type: ipconfig /all

and look for a line:

DHCP activated . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

If you can't find such line then you must go to your networkconnection properties ip/tcp on that computer to enable dhcp.
Last edited by gunte on Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

El Stupido
Sheriff
Sheriff

Post by El Stupido » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:51 pm

We have been battling this same problem when visiting my wife's parents. They have 6 pc's on a LAN, and I think the most we have been able to get connected at once is 3. When another PC joins, it boots another off.

Pippi
Cowpoke
Cowpoke

Post by Pippi » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:20 pm

Not sure about Wildwest, but with RTCW, this was a common problem on LAN parties, and is easily understood and solved.

The problem is as follows (short version, I wrote about this problem way too much in the past). What happens: when the RTCW server wants to send the PC's something back, it doesn't know how to tell the 3 PC's apart. All the RTCW server has is the IP address of the single ADSL/cable modem.
In this thread is the solution:
http://forums.wildwest-game.com/viewtop ... sc&start=0

Might I add that I HAVE a lot of experience with all the WRT54G, s and um how shall I say it, they're crap. Disconnects, lockups, random firmware resets, the list of problems is endless. I highly recommend installing the latest firmware (if you're a techie that is).

gunte

Post by gunte » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:35 pm

hi it is not true. You are right that the server has the ip - But the server also has the port number soo if you are using 3 different computers it will send it back to 3 different ports and the router knows which port is to which computer.

All 3 computers opens up a connection on port 27960 but the router translate it to another port and also remember which translated port is to which computer. When router gets packets from the server then it knows which computer to send it to.

SOLUTION (new starter version):

However i think the router doesn't work well soo i made a little extra feature to avoid the problem. Try download/install this version of the starter on all 3 computers and you can see a new checkbox "Random portnumbers" :D.....Now enable it and try connect with all 3 computers - I think it will solve the problem :D

http://dorado.ath.cx/download/setup_Wil ... ter50a.exe

All i do is to add the parameter to the wolfexe file "+set net_port xxxx" where xxxx is a random number between 5000 and 55000. Then all your computers for sure will start on a different port and not the default 27960 which i think may confuse the router somehow.

zippy
Cowpoke
Cowpoke

Post by zippy » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:08 am

gunte wrote:
However i think the router doesn't work well soo i made a little extra feature to avoid the problem. Try download/install this version of the starter on all 3 computers and you can see a new checkbox "Random portnumbers" :D.....Now enable it and try connect with all 3 computers - I think it will solve the problem :D

http://dorado.ath.cx/download/setup_Wil ... ter50a.exe

All i do is to add the parameter to the wolfexe file "+set net_port xxxx" where xxxx is a random number between 5000 and 55000. Then all your computers for sure will start on a different port and not the default 27960 which i think may confuse the router somehow.
thanks :D that (reverting to default port no. on each pc and also described by others above) looked to be the problem. Like i said it just had issues with WW and nothing else, i tested the new starter and it seemed to work right. Thanks Gunte and all of you with your help. :)

gunte

Post by gunte » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:06 am

no prob :). I remove the checkbox and make it a standard feature for all of us in a new version next week. But it wont solve the LAN problem unless i make a lan starter button, hmm. I probably do that.

gunte

Post by gunte » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:33 am

Ok here is a version like it should be :).

Random port always. And now also you can start a connection to a lan server (also with a random port). This should solve the routerproblem finally. Please test.

http://dorado.ath.cx/download/setup_Wil ... ter50b.exe

El_Pedo_Ciego
Prospector
Prospector

Post by El_Pedo_Ciego » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:48 pm

Hey just dropped in for a sec and actually saw something I could help with! Unbelievable! Great community here helped me through it. WW is a great game to pick up for new or non-gamer types for LAN recruitment.

Here's what worked for me:
http://forums.wildwest-game.com/viewtop ... =1630#1630

Some of that was overkill, but now it works always. One thing that I needed to also do was make sure my ISP's DNS IP's (say that five times fast!) were coded in in the network settings.

Been working great.
/PF/ El_Pedo_Ciego - a.k.a LonePedo -

"I maintain a steady diet of rare steaks, beef jerky and live ammunition..."

Ringo
Site Administrator

Post by Ringo » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:34 pm

El_Pedo_Ciego wrote:Hey just dropped in for a sec and actually saw something I could help with! Unbelievable! Great community here helped me through it. WW is a great game to pick up for new or non-gamer types for LAN recruitment.

Here's what worked for me:
http://forums.wildwest-game.com/viewtop ... =1630#1630

Some of that was overkill, but now it works always. One thing that I needed to also do was make sure my ISP's DNS IP's (say that five times fast!) were coded in in the network settings.

Been working great.
so when are you be playin :)
WIP : Wildwest ET
WIP : Wildwest_Radar
WIP : Wildwest_Sanmiguel
WIP : Wildwest_Yuma
WIP : Wildwest Jailbreak
WIP : Wildwest_Muerte
WIP : Wildwest_Abby

El_Pedo_Ciego
Prospector
Prospector

Post by El_Pedo_Ciego » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:28 pm

Yeeesh...

I'm still tied up in the mountains... (Hey Zivs, that might be a good idea for a new map!) I hope to be in action by the end of the month.
/PF/ El_Pedo_Ciego - a.k.a LonePedo -

"I maintain a steady diet of rare steaks, beef jerky and live ammunition..."

Pippi
Cowpoke
Cowpoke

Post by Pippi » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:32 pm

gunte wrote:hi it is not true. You are right that the server has the ip - But the server also has the port number soo if you are using 3 different computers it will send it back to 3 different ports and the router knows which port is to which computer.

All 3 computers opens up a connection on port 27960 but the router translate it to another port and also remember which translated port is to which computer. When router gets packets from the server then it knows which computer to send it to.
That was the way I did it for RTCW LAN parties. Everyone their own port, everyone happy. :P