Well hello there!

Any router settings that would improve gaming?

Have a problem with the game or just a general support question? Ask your Tech questions here.

Moderators: Ringo, wwbiteme, zivs

El Stupido
Sheriff
Sheriff

Any router settings that would improve gaming?

Post by El Stupido » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:24 pm

I have a LinkSys wireless router with pretty much the default settings applied. (other than an SSID and encryption to keep the neighbors out). what I would like to know is:

1) I have seen a page in the setup where I can enter the .exe of game files I run. Are there any advantages to entering rtcw and wildwest to that list, and are there any other tweaks I can make to improve the game? port numbers etc.

2) Is it possible to have the router block all other traffic when I am playing? I don't want my virus scanner updating its definitions while Zippy is shooting me in the head. I also don't want TrojanDownloader downloading a new virus while I'm planting at the bank. (it can download it later while I'm sleeping)

Thanks!

gunte

Post by gunte » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:45 am

1. Only think about that if you want to make a server.

2. Please don't use the router to stop traffic. I also have antivirus updating 1 time each day - no problem. If you really want to limit the antivirusupdate traffic then you can open up the antivirus program and in option choose not to update. About trojan download etc you shouldn't have any such traffic :o

Huche_de_Vent
Sheriff
Sheriff

Post by Huche_de_Vent » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:30 am

Stupido, for your question 2, I have achieved a satisfactory result using my firewall and not fiddling with the router. When I'm gaming online, wolfmp.exe is the only process that is allowed in or out. All other programs and even local requests (pings, shares, etc) are blocked. Keeps it nice and clean plus saving a wee bit more bandwith.
/PF/Huche
aka gravedigger

"I can tell at sight a Mauser rifle from a javelin."

Pippi
Cowpoke
Cowpoke

Post by Pippi » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:54 pm

Another idea: you could use something called "Quality of Service" but I don't think I have seen it on the cheaper Linksys routers.