Well hello there!

WIP: Ghost Dance

More or less everything you want to know about mapping for WildWest.

Moderators: Ringo, wwbiteme, zivs

zivs
Super Moderator

WIP: Ghost Dance

Post by zivs » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:37 am

As I've stated in Skinny Bar topic, I've started to mess around with another one idea which I find quite more interesting in general for Wild West theme, which, as I've told also before, will include some sort of Indian setting in it.

The new project will also be not as big as for example WildWest Town or probably not even as big as Ringo's Yuma, but it will be definitively larger than Saloon map. This time for 3on3 or at maximum 6on6 setting.

Map will be set up in middle of the night (still thinking how to make sniping in dark corners less effective or to get rid of it at all), if I or Ringo will figure out how to set fog all over the map and add the rain effects to it. Basically it will we quite dark and damp map ... for a change to always sunny and warm maps. :)

So far is created a simple layout on paper, so I don't go wild on imagination and in the end do not create something what I didn't really want to.

As it can be seen - the layout is pretty simple and split into three parts - getting near the bridge, getting over the bridge, blowing Chief's tent up.

In the recent days I've created terrain (which will be hardly seen anyway, due to the map setting) and started to sketch the first part of the map.

Now all depends on the free time and inspiration to successfully lead the Ghost Dance out to at least public testing stage ... :)

(Early screenshot from first stage far from being even close to pre-alpha candidate)

wwbiteme
Site Administrator

Post by wwbiteme » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:15 pm

Wow Zivs. I love this take on the mapping!!

Very different!

Keep up the good work!!

El Stupido
Sheriff
Sheriff

Post by El Stupido » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:26 pm

Zivs! That is so cool! Just that one screen shot gives me that creepy night time feeling. You know, that feeling that $hitkicker is behind every tree ready to knife you as you walk by. :shock: Great map idea!

Huche_de_Vent
Sheriff
Sheriff

Post by Huche_de_Vent » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:30 pm

Oh I agree. Awesome potential here and I too really like the setting. I can't wait to try this one, Zivs! Hope it makes it to the testing stage. :)

Stupido, my thoughts exactly. Kicker seems able to be behind every tree, or rock, or building... all at the same time no less!
/PF/Huche
aka gravedigger

"I can tell at sight a Mauser rifle from a javelin."

Ringo
Site Administrator

Re: WIP: Ghost Dance

Post by Ringo » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:31 pm

zivs wrote:As I've stated in Skinny Bar topic, I've started to mess around with another one idea which I find quite more interesting in general for Wild West theme, which, as I've told also before, will include some sort of Indian setting in it.

The new project will also be not as big as for example WildWest Town or probably not even as big as Ringo's Yuma, but it will be definitively larger than Saloon map. This time for 3on3 or at maximum 6on6 setting.

Map will be set up in middle of the night (still thinking how to make sniping in dark corners less effective or to get rid of it at all), if I or Ringo will figure out how to set fog all over the map and add the rain effects to it. Basically it will we quite dark and damp map ... for a change to always sunny and warm maps. :)

So far is created a simple layout on paper, so I don't go wild on imagination and in the end do not create something what I didn't really want to.

As it can be seen - the layout is pretty simple and split into three parts - getting near the bridge, getting over the bridge, blowing Chief's tent up.

In the recent days I've created terrain (which will be hardly seen anyway, due to the map setting) and started to sketch the first part of the map.

Now all depends on the free time and inspiration to successfully lead the Ghost Dance out to at least public testing stage ... :)

(Early screenshot from first stage far from being even close to pre-alpha candidate)
Zivs will agree that the west is in desperate need of some new textures :)

love the idea ! .. we might scoop up a project together :)
WIP : Wildwest ET
WIP : Wildwest_Radar
WIP : Wildwest_Sanmiguel
WIP : Wildwest_Yuma
WIP : Wildwest Jailbreak
WIP : Wildwest_Muerte
WIP : Wildwest_Abby

zivs
Super Moderator

Post by zivs » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:50 pm

Regarding the map setting - can anyone reveal the info, if there's actually available rain (you know .. rain drops and shizzle) and also - how to add a fog to the map? Preferably such one, who's only up to knees or something - not blocking the distance ahead ... :shock:

Also the secret how to add custom sounds and custom textures would be appreciated ... :roll:

Ringo
Site Administrator

Post by Ringo » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:24 pm

zivs wrote:Regarding the map setting - can anyone reveal the info, if there's actually available rain (you know .. rain drops and shizzle) and also - how to add a fog to the map? Preferably such one, who's only up to knees or something - not blocking the distance ahead ... :shock:

Also the secret how to add custom sounds and custom textures would be appreciated ... :roll:
A: Rain yes ..( i have to look it up it has been a while )
B : Fog yes .. ( knees up also .. height u can fix )

to come back at A : i can give u 2 hints :) , Jedi Academy (acid level ) / ET radar
to get back At B : Fog has some nasty side effects .. but to point you in the right direction ..

heh .. and i like u know reading ;)

http://www.richdiesal.map-craft.com/tut ... 0lsn4.html

but im sure i have seen the rain/fog on MP maps .. example is train map ..

http://redsaurus.net/gtkradiant/viewtopic.php?t=15

zivs
Super Moderator

Post by zivs » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:18 pm

The problem is, I can't find in WW textures anything called "outside" or "inside" which would deal with the weather effects ... I assume that it's possible to import them in that case? Right? :oops:

P.S.
"It is also important to note that weather effects do not work in MP" ... If ET have them, I can't think of any RtCW map which would have rain/snow falling from sky ... :?

P.P.S.
Most of the tutorials have 404'd :(

zivs
Super Moderator

Post by zivs » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:03 pm

Last night and a bit today was hardly working on detailing further the first stage of the map. Some pictures to see the results (which also are not really close to alpha/beta stages):

Approx. spawn place for attackers on first stage

Haven't thought about making sniping hard on this situation (as there will be in middle non-passable river)

Approx. spawn place for defenders on first stage

Look from the "other side" of the river (where will be the main objective located)

Also, due to the possible FPS drops (for low-spec computer owners) I'm thinking to say NO to the fog. Map is a bit lighten up (will be probably just a bit more) to see the enemies also in places where's no torch lights).

If I will study by the manuals, will probably add also just the rain or upcoming storm sound (or just in general night sound) without the rain effects. If I will progress with the shaders and scripting, maybe even thunder effects will be added ... :roll:

Now is planned to do a passable bridge, some minor detailing on the "other side" of the river and then to bug hard Ringo and to do once again no hard objectives (get the flag, blow up something/someone). :D

P.S.
Does it also for others seems like a sniper paradise map or is it just me?

wwbiteme
Site Administrator

Post by wwbiteme » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:42 pm

"P.S.
Does it also for others seems like a sniper paradise map or is it just me?"

(BiteMe looks up from polishing his musket)......What??? Did someone say snipers paradise??
:wink:

Ringo
Site Administrator

Post by Ringo » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:23 pm

Well a sniper paradise is hard with nightly settings ..

but thats me :)

.. tell me the objectives and ill script em for ya'hs

zivs
Super Moderator

Post by zivs » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:30 pm

Ringo wrote:.. tell me the objectives and ill script em for ya'hs
I'll do that a bit later this evening - will make zip file including .map file, .pcx and everything else related to map and detailed explanation of what and how I imagine everything there) :)

P.S.
With that sniper paradise I meant that you can hide in dark corner and then snipe out all of those who pass by the torches (where's light) ... :X

Ringo
Site Administrator

Post by Ringo » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:34 pm

zivs wrote:The problem is, I can't find in WW textures anything called "outside" or "inside" which would deal with the weather effects ... I assume that it's possible to import them in that case? Right? :oops:

- Yup .. load up the map in radiant after the import .. add some stuff and see if the effects are implemented in WW 1.6 code .. if unknown parameter pop ups .. ull know why .. ( hence constructable class ;) )

P.S.
"It is also important to note that weather effects do not work in MP" ... If ET have them, I can't think of any RtCW map which would have rain/snow falling from sky ... :?

- this maybe a feature by ET only , since the FPS impact is massive .. however ! .. i do remember santa mod .. which has snow .. and coded by hew .. Hewster might have coded this form in the wildwest .. but i never had use for it yet ..( rain or snow )

P.P.S.
Most of the tutorials have 404'd :(
- Yes i know .. alot of older links do... as i hinted you before .. there are map sources around in which u can borrow the settings or atleast locate the stuff how it works :)
( ill try and see if i can dig up some RAIN settings and such )

El_Pedo_Ciego
Prospector
Prospector

Post by El_Pedo_Ciego » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:11 pm

Sweeet! Nice idea Zivs. Glad to see you're back in the saddle. I like the dark theme. That will be a change for WW.

I am hoping to get into mapping this fall/winter, but I have gotten a few more contracts so that might get pushed back. In the meantime I will dream as you and Ringo rip it up. Keep up the good work guys. Us little peeps really appreciate it.
/PF/ El_Pedo_Ciego - a.k.a LonePedo -

"I maintain a steady diet of rare steaks, beef jerky and live ammunition..."

zivs
Super Moderator

Post by zivs » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:51 pm

So far done some rather small improvements and details:

Added some sort of water (which will be triggering damage or will be blocked in any other way to be passed)

Made a primitive bridge (details will be updated)

Doing sketch of Indian camping site (probably will be re-done with custom textures and with higher detail level)

Sight from Indian side of the river to first part of the map

Now will create sort of objective listing and will beg Ringo to help me out with them. When that will be (hopefully) done - will do minor detail fetish and then will see where and how to host that map for first alpha-tests. This time I hope the map won't end up "finished" without much of polishing as fast as Saloon ... :roll:

Also, there are in plans new models (static ones) for this map ... if one of my friends will gather his will and create some secret stuff for me ... :)